Problem installing extensions to on premises TFS 2017 server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the Package Management extension to our on premises TFS 2017 server. From the marketplace I click on the extension, then on its page I click on the buy button. I then get asked to log on with my MS account, which I do. Once I've done so though, the only TFS instance I see is a cloud one that I'm a member of, I don't see our local instance. The same happens for any extension, paid or free, that I try to install. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Kev

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

Thank you for posting here.

When you open the package management page, could you see the two parts like the following picture:

If not, I suggest that you could try to open the market place from TFS web access, then try to install the package management again:

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Kevin O Donovan Wednesday, December 28, 2016 11:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hmm, I'm logged on to our local TFS using my domain account, so thinking about it I can't see how my MS account would know anything about our local server. Would that mean that the problem is how I either use my domain account to access the marketplace, or how I link our local server to my MS account (the one I'm currently posting from)
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:43 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thank you for posting here.

When you open the package management page, could you see the two parts like the following picture:

If not, I suggest that you could try to open the market place from TFS web access, then try to install the package management again:

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Kevin O Donovan Wednesday, December 28, 2016 11:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Hi Limitxiao, and thanks for coming back to me. I'd managed to solve the Package Management problem, but in a different way - within TFS Web Access there was a browse local extensions option, and it was listed in there, along with a handful of other extensions. I've just gone back to try another extension though, in this case "Folder Management", and now I see the following text on it "Click Install for Team Services and Download for Team Foundation Server." - I can only assume that that was there all the time and I just wasn't seeing it?!? 

Anyway, all seems good now!

Kevin

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 11:26 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

When you open the Market Place from TFS Web access, and open the extension page, there is no such text. But if you open the Market Place from the browser directly ,then you will see the text. Because when you open the  Market Place from TFS Web access, then page knows you are using TFS not VSTS:

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:01 AM