none
"Not compatible" issue while trying to run file. RRS feed

• Question

• This is the error I get when I try to open my debug executable file.

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

When I try to run it as Administrator it says the file doesn't exist. I tried switching from the "Any CPU" in Visual Studio to "x64" because that's what my computer runs on but it still doesn't work. When I debug it through Visual Studio it works fine. Any suggestions to why this is happening or how I can fix it?

EDIT: I gave up and started over from scratch, it seems to be working so far.
    • Edited by BranK Monday, December 4, 2017 9:03 PM
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 11:12 PM

Answers

• Hi BranK,

executable file is vb.net project or not? You have this error message when ran this vb.net project?

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by BranK Monday, December 4, 2017 9:04 PM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 8:20 AM

All replies

•  Without knowing what all your app does and what references it is using,  perhaps try setting it to target x86 (32bit).  That will still run on x64 (64bit) os's as a 32 bit process.

Did you set it in the project's Properties -> Compile tab in the (Target CPU) options as shown below?

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Edited by IronRazerz Sunday, December 3, 2017 11:57 PM
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 11:56 PM
  • This is the error I get when I try to open my debug executable file.

Why would you want to open the debug executable?  That file is used by the debugger when you invoke debug from the IDE. It runs in a very specific environment, managed by the debugger.  It is not designed to be used as a stand-alone executable file.

Monday, December 4, 2017 12:30 AM
  • I've always used the debug file for simple applications, I've never had this error happen before. I don't want to create an installer or anything just to open my program.
    • Edited by BranK Monday, December 4, 2017 1:31 AM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 1:23 AM
  • I've always used the debug file for simple applications, I've never had this error happen before.
    You have been very lucky, but I guess it had to run out at some time.
    Monday, December 4, 2017 4:20 AM
  • Hi BranK,

executable file is vb.net project or not? You have this error message when ran this vb.net project?

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by BranK Monday, December 4, 2017 9:04 PM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 8:20 AM