Virtual Machine Storage Transactions RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been setting up a virtual machine and uploading a website and it seems to have almost used all my storage transactions in my trial account? Looking at the pricing calculator it does not suggest a basic VM with no extra storage occur storage transaction costs?

Can any idea be given on costs for a basic 20gb storage? I seem to have occurred allot of storage costs while trying to set up my VM and worry that using this live might not be cost beneficial.

Thanks

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi

Good question :)

My subscription reach the limitation of the trial because of that. Only took 30 hours :).

If you already understand why so many storage transactions were done when setup a VM, please share it.

Rui

Rui Santos

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:11 AM
  • This looks like an issue to me, there should be no (or very little) storage transactions for creating a VM. Also it needs to be clarified on how storage transactions accumulative on a VM. Does the operating system just running constanlty accumulative storage transactions (accessing the VHD)?
    Monday, June 11, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Exactly!!!

I tried to contact MS on this, but they don't have much knowledge about this (yet), and is a preview version so they don't give official support :(.

And did you notice that the .vhd file in the storage get updated ? How often this file has being updated ? Could be the reason of the large transaction number ?

If I get any insight on this I will share it   ;)

rui

Rui Santos

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Looking at the storage transaction costs I do not think it will be a problem, but only having 1 million transactions on the trial is a problem as I cannot test this fully with a high transaction rate. I don't think the trial allowance has been updated to reflect the new rates? 1 million transactions are now $0.10, that is not a very generous trial amount?
    Monday, June 11, 2012 11:01 AM
  • MY spending limit has now been reached, this happened with a new vm today (removed everything from my account, only had vm on there):

^Storage^^^Storage Transactions (in 10,000s)^AzureStorage^10,000s 11.1307

I really need to know how this is calculated, is this every single write to the c drive??

Monday, June 11, 2012 2:28 PM
  • agmonks:

Heheheheh, yes me too :) I think it must be an error (or at least I hope will be an error :) ) It's look like that every access to the files inside the VM update the .vhd file that is in the Blob Container, and them produce a transaction :(

I hope someone from MS response to this quickly :)

Rui 

Rui Santos

Monday, June 11, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

If you can email your subscription ID to iaasforum at microsoft.com, we can investigate the usage issue.

Thanks,

Craig

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

If you can email your subscription ID to iaasforum at microsoft.com, we can investigate the usage issue.

Thanks,

Craig

I have sent it over.

Thanks

Andrew

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Me too ;)

Thanks

Rui

Rui Santos

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Interesting. I'd like to hear a little more about what you are running (above the OS). We provide 1,000,000 transactions for free per month with the free trial. Our testing showed that was sufficient though clearly you have found some scenarios where that is not the case.<o:p></o:p>

As background... When a free tier is reached, charges begin for that component. For transactions, the price is .01 per 100,000 transactions. If your spending cap is on, when a free tier is reached, the subscription is suspended until the spending cap is removed or the next month of free service begins.

thanks,

steven.martin

Microsoft

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:44 PM
  • I just installed iis, SQL express 2012, and FileZilla for FTP. I had no storage transactions left today to get any further. I was trying to reproduc my high usage from yesterday and the one thing that does stand out was when I was trying to reboot to solve a problem. I done 2 reboots today and at first it was fine, then after awhile my limit was hit, nothing was actually doing any work at the time. Could the reboots be causing a lot of transactions?
    Monday, June 11, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Thought I'd chime in as well. I've been experiencing high transaction counts as well to point where my MSDN quota was completely overdrawn for the first time.

According to storage analytics it seems that the baseline storage transaction count of Server 2012 RC VM instance averages around 900 storage transactions an hour when doing absolutely nothing. When doing some light work in RavenDB I've seen spikes as high as 5963 transactions within an hour.

Looking at the logs themselves it seems the vast majority of storage transactions are PutPage requests from XDrive going to the VHD.

I'd be nice to see storage transaction quota for MSDN subscriptions raised to reflect the latest pricing changes for storage transactions.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Steven:

My scenery was quite the same as agmonks:

1) Install IIS

2) Install MS SQL Express 2012

3) Upload some files directly to VM (using remote desktop)

4)Nothing more!

Even a more strange thing was, after my subscription was disabled, I still saw the transactions count get higher. The subscription was disabled on Sunday, and I get a print screen of my billing, on Monday I get another printscreen of Billing, and with everything stopped I get :

1)  More Data transfer out (around 700 MB)

2) More Storage Transaction 

3) More everything actually :)

SundayMonday

Rui Santos

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:09 AM
  • I think there is a delay in the billing system, so the usage increasing was probably the system playing catch up, it would be nice if the VM management pages had counters like the website management fro real-time monitoring.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Thanks Rui, this is helpful.  We will review today.

thanks,

steve

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Is there any update on this? As my testing is on hold because of this (as well as my trial account through the transactions)
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:36 PM
  • We are working on it.  Will have an update early next week.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 7:47 PM
  • *** Update ***

We are working on an update to the offer that will significantly increase the number of transactions included in the Free and Benefit subscriptions.  We expect this to go live in the next few days and will provide an update here when it has been implemented.  The increased limit will apply to all new subscriptions and the next subscription month of all existing subscriptions.  We are working on an additional change which would reset the limit within existing subscriptions (within the current month).

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Thanks Steven,

Is there any chance that my limit could be adjusted or reset for this month so I can try some things out before I attend the Azure event in London on Friday?

Andrew

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:27 PM
  • I'm guessing that is a no? 

Did your investigations into this give any indication of average storage transactions to expect from a VM, would be handy to know perhaps the baseline operating systems usage for the purpose of planning cost.

Thanks

Andrew

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:34 AM
  • I’m delighted to announce that we have increased the transaction limit for trial / benefit customers from 1 million to 50 million storage transactions per month.  I want to thank everyone who provided feedback and additional details which helped us understand the need for the increase.  All trials which start 6/21/12 or afterwill have the increased amount by default.  All trials / benefit subscriptions started prior to 6/21/12 will see the increase reflected on their next month’s allocation (i.e. 7/15 for those who started on 6/15).  We are working on a change which will increase the transaction limit within the current month but we are not overly optimistic we will get this done in a time frame that is likely to help.  If we are able to get an update landed, I will post the details here.

For those who started a subscription prior to 6/21 and are currently in a suspended state due to the transaction limit, you can re-activate by removing your billing cap.  Remember, transaction prices are $.01 per 100,000 so 30 million transactions will cost you less than a cup of coffee ($3).

Thanks,

Steven.martin

GM of Business Planning & Operations

Microsoft

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:35 PM
  • I will just wait till next month now, I just do not want to remove my spending limit and accidently incur high costs through other services whilst testing.

Thank you very much for your help. Might be an idea to change the topic back to a question and mark your post as an answer?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Would you be able to share an estimate on when the Free Trial page at https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/free-trial/ would be updated to reflect the new 50 million transaction limit?
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Steve:

Great news :)

By the way Steve, I think with the Extra Small instance, the computation is payed like 1/6 of a small one,  do you think  50 millions would be enough for 4 or 5 extra small instance VM per month ?

Another thing, how exactly are this VM consuming all this transactions ? There is anything that we can do in the VM to reduce it ?

(

agmonks: I think this topic is good and I would like you to keep it like this, would be good for future search/references. Thanks

)

Thanks again, and good work for all.

Rui Santos

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Hi Steven,

what about MSDN customers? We have 4 million storage transactions free per month, would make sense to increase that too a bit as 4 million seems a bit too low for VMs.

Bernhard

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Should be updated this weekend.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:31 PM
  • It's hard to say.  Depending on what you are doing, 1m transactions per month per instance may be enough.  The size of the instance tends to be less important than what is going on inside it (very little correlation between instance size and transactions).  We landed on 50m per month for the trial because it covered 100% of all single instance deployments (based on the data we had at the time) when factored for the full month. As we get more data, we may publish some information on transaction counts by instance type (in aggregate) to assist with planning.

steven.martin

General Manager Business Planning and Operations

Microsoft

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Resource

90-day free trial

MSDN Professional  and   Cloud Essentials

MSDN Premium

MSDN Ultimate and BizSpark

Storage Transactions

50 M

50 M

75 M

100 M

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Is storage limit for MSDN Ultimate and BizSpark is also being updated or are they still at 30GB?
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:47 PM
  • Yes, updated as well.  Here is the full list:

Resource

90-day free trial (Offer   18p)

MSDN Professional  and   Cloud Essentials

MSDN Premium

MSDN Ultimate/BizSpark

Storage Transactions

50 M

50 M

75 M

100 M

Storage – Locally Redundant

35 GB

35 GB

40 GB

45 GB

Storage – Geo Redundant

35 GB

35 GB

40 GB

45 GB

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Hi,

Just to say, that Microsoft update my current account, and even after the I removed the limitations of cost, now I see that my billing is 0.00.

Thanks and nice work Steven, send my regards to the team ;)

Rui Santos

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Thanks! 

*** Update ***

We have landed an update which applies the increased tiers to your current month's usage.  For anyone who was suspended, you can redeploy without having to remove your spending cap or wait until the next billing cycle.  you are good to go!

thanks,

steven.martin

Microsoft

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Thanks Steven! Excellent work!
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:50 PM
  • I'm guessing that is a no? 

Did your investigations into this give any indication of average storage transactions to expect from a VM, would be handy to know perhaps the baseline operating systems usage for the purpose of planning cost.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi all,

Regarding the storage transaction using for a "standard" VM, is there any further guidance on how VM utilise storage transactions from a cost planning perspective? Does the OS at idle incur storage transactions costs and how could we work this out?

Monday, July 9, 2012 2:43 PM