Guide to setting up private domain RRS feed

• Question

• Very briefly, I am very busy coding, designing etc and need some pointers.

We have a crude workgroup network, a main machine is our web server, our router is wireless.

Domain name is registered and setup fine, DNS servers for it reside with the hosting firm Verio.

Everything is OK for now, but we cant acess the web server internally, unless we specify its machine name.

Is there a simple, recommended way to do this?

Should I simply rename the main web server to have the same name as the public facing domain name?

e.g. domain name is somefirm.com

Verio have entries for www.somefirm.com that point to our (static) IP.

The web server machine however is named "philadelphia" (each machine is named after a city) and other workstations must use: http://philadelphia/default.aspx in order to access our own site.

I want users to be able to access: http://www.somefirm.com just like external users can.

Any pointers? any suggestions? should I stick with workgroup or consider setting up domain servers etc?

Thanks

Hugh

PS: The main web server is 64-bit Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2.

Friday, May 4, 2007 6:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Hugo,

This forum is for questions regarding the peer-to-peer networking developer platform, but I think I can help you.

You have one external IP address for your organization, and an exception in your NAT to forward port 80 traffic to your webserver, right?  Your clients inside your organization should be using the private IP address of your webserver, but instead they're trying to your external, public address.  I bet your NAT doesn't support hairpinning - when a machine inside your network tries to go out through your router, and right back in to another local machine.

Does this help, or just confuse?  I'll see if I can dig up a good place to ask general networking questions.

Tyler

Saturday, May 5, 2007 6:46 PM