Print preview does not show Access 2010 button and does not print buttons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have started using Access 2010 and new to this version.  I have created a form and it has few buttons. Now I want to print out form but when I do print priview it does show any of my Buttons in it, why? can any one explain please

Same thing with reports. if is has any button it does not come out in printing.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:19 PM

Answers

• Open the form in design view.
    Right-click the command button, and choose Properties.
    On the Format tab of the Properties sheet, how is the Display When property set?

It won�??t print if it�??s set to �??Screen Only�?�

Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia
    Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
    Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

"jay033" wrote in message news:4cdd8732-2a82-4710-b4fc-49792989327c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi I have started using Access 2010 and new to this version.  I have created a form and it has few buttons. Now I want to print out form but when I do print priview it does show any of my Buttons in it, why? can any one explain please

Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to forum, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, November 5, 2010 8:55 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:55 AM

All replies

• Open the form in design view.
    Right-click the command button, and choose Properties.
    On the Format tab of the Properties sheet, how is the Display When property set?

It won�??t print if it�??s set to �??Screen Only�?�

Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia
    Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
    Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

"jay033" wrote in message news:4cdd8732-2a82-4710-b4fc-49792989327c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi I have started using Access 2010 and new to this version.  I have created a form and it has few buttons. Now I want to print out form but when I do print priview it does show any of my Buttons in it, why? can any one explain please

Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to forum, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, November 5, 2010 8:55 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Hi there,

Sorry, I know this is months later, but I've found this thread because I have the same problem. 

I am using Access 2010, and wanted to put a Gradient Fill on my report headings (as my client wants them shaded to match his company livery). 

However, for some reason (and PLEASE tell me if there is a way around this) I can only get the Gradient Fill option to be enabled if I set up my headings as Command Buttons.  This is messy I know, but come on Microsoft - you promised Gradient Fill with 2010, and you've only done half a job!

The Report looks good on screen, but as soon as I go into print preview (or just plain print), the buttons disappear.  The Display When property on each of the buttons is set to Always (I've even tried changing it to Print Only, but no use).

I am losing hair rapidly over this, as each time I come up with a solution to this poxy missing Gradient Fill, my PC goes and slaps me down again.

Help!

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:02 AM
  • This is a different issue but I'll try to answer. I am unaware of any true "gradient fill" feature in Access (and I have looked). The only similar feature I know of, that works for command buttons, is the option to render the button according to the global [Windows/ Access] Theme.

I use a gradient fill behind some of my controls (the effect can be quite nice), only mine is done with a WMF format graphic created in OpenOffice/ LibreOffice Draw (exported as WMF). Access 2010 has convenient features for stretching/ "arranging" controls automatically according to the containing form's dimensions. You might want to try something similar.

Matthew Slyman M.A. (Camb.)
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:46 AM
  • As a side note, Access 2010 does have gradient fills for buttons. You can make buttons like this:

gradient2
    In the above, all of the buttons were built inside of Access, even the round one. We also have shadow, glow and hover effects. And ALSO note that buttons now allow graphics + text together.

Here is a composite of some additional options:

ButtonsOP

Now, back to the posters problem. Quite correct that buttons do not display when printed, and they did in pre previous versions (I think before 2007, so it might be two versions since we could not do this).

Regardless, why not simply create a graphic with the correct gradient fill, or grab the existing logo, and paste that into the report?

Albert D. Kallal  (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:39 AM
  • I had the same problem.  Check the "Use Theme" property and make sure it is off.  I don't know why it makes a difference, but it did.
    • Proposed as answer by abarry92 Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:20 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 4:58 PM
  • I was also facing this issue and setting "Use Theme" property to off, I am able to show buttons on the print preview but if you know any other solution in which we do not have to set "Use Theme" property to off ,it will be a great help for me...

Monday, March 2, 2015 1:12 PM
  • This does not work in 2013, unfortunately.  "Theme" buttons are always excluded in Form print.
    Saturday, May 5, 2018 6:53 AM