none
Application dependent on .Net 4.6.1, new Windows 10 computers with .Net 4.7.1 don't work. RRS feed

• Question

• We are having an application that is dependent on .Net Framework 4.6.1. This application works fine if the computer had .Net 4.6.1 installed any time and is being updated to .Net 4.7.1.

But now there are computers who only had the .Net 4.7.1 and never saw a previous version, on those computers the application doesn't work. I can't install .Net 4.6.1 nor uninstall .Net 4.7.1.
    How can I Solve this problem? Anything we can do to fix the application to let it work on the new computers?

Apart from recompiling the application to 4.7.

A sreen dump of the shown error:

[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2z3nbit.jpg[/IMG]

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Bridge,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Normally, there isn't any specific compatibility problem between the .Net Framework 4.6.1 application and OS with .Net 4.7.1. Because .NET 4.7 is is a highly compatible in-place update of .NET 4.6.1,   For more information,  please see the Migration Guide to the .NET Framework 4.7, 4.6, and 4.5.

You could also refer to Port, Migrate, and Upgrade Visual Studio Projects, check if the VS version difference that affect the application migrating. Then open visual studio in safemode, It will prevent all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution. Check it if your project will be reopen properly when in safe mode.

If it works, this issue should be caused by the extensions and you need to remove the installed extensions under Tools—Extensions and Updates.

Just according to the screenshot, we couldn't determine the root cause, if possible, please upload your application on OneDrive, share the link with us, we will help you test it on our Win 10 with 4.7.1 .Net Framework, to find the reason and troubleshoot.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

This problem happens when you just run the application, we are having the problem with regular users, not (only)with developers from Visual Studio. You should be able to see for yourself when you download, install and run the application.

The Installer for the application is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApG6DGi2pm7ohl11UE18TzHnj5h_

When you first run the application it will ask for a license, you have one here: https://1drv.ms/t/s!ApG6DGi2pm7ohlyv7KWvvyGDzj4t

The license is case sensitve, Copy the license, line by line, so all fields are filled. Click the checkbox next to: "Ik ga akkoord met de licentievoorwaarden" and push Licentie bijwerken. If you did it correctly it will show a pop up with: Uw Licentie is geldig t/m 31-01-2018. Push OK, and Push start.

It will ask which Bridgemate you are using, choose any or just close the pop-up. The error should show. If it doesn't close the application and restart it.

Important: The Windows 10 computer should be new with only .Net 4.7.1 ever installed, and never installed .Net 4.6.1.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi Bridge,

Sorry for my misunderstanding before,. Currently the cause of this issue is clear: the installer application was developed depending on .Net Framework 4.6.1, so it must be running on the system with .Net Framework 4.7.1.

To solve this issue, there are two workarounds:

1. Re-compile your application, modify related code and framework, so that it can be based on .Net 4.7.1 machine.

2. Uninstall 4.7.1 and re-install the .Net Framework 4.6.1 version. 

>> I can't install .Net 4.6.1 nor uninstall .Net 4.7.1.

Does it because that you received the error message as :

.NET Framework 4.6.1 or a later update is already installed on this computer.

Could you please tell us why you can't uninstall the .Net 4.7.1?

Refer to: .NET Framework system requirements , .NET Framework 4.7.1 is preinstalled with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update .

If it is in this situation, please try with following steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features, turn Windows features on or off to uncheck  .net framework 4.7 advanced  services.

2. Restart your machine and download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Sorry for my misunderstanding before,. Currently the cause of this issue is clear: the installer application was developed depending on .Net Framework 4.6.1, so it must be running on the system with .Net Framework 4.7.1.

You tell me that this should be working and it isn't. It looks like a compatibility-problem that should not exist according to microsoft(you)... If we get this problem with every new computer, which has .net 4.7 installed (without ever having had 4.6.1), it will be a support nightmare. This Worries us a lot.

About Workaround 1: We prefer not to recompile the application since users without .net framework 4.7.1. won't be able to run the application.

With work around 2:
    It is a brandnew installation of windows 10, with the Fall creators Update..

I tried the steps you proposed and hereby screenshots, so you can see if I did something wrong. The computer is in Dutch, so hence the dutch screenshots.

1: Uncheck the .net framework 4.7 advanced services

http://i65.tinypic.com/351wh2c.jpg

2: restart computer (no screenshot)

3: Install .net 4.6.1

http://nl.tinypic.com/r/2vtac94/9

Is there another way we get .net 4.6.1 installed on the computer?

Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:38 AM
  • A search by google reveals that more applications are affected by an incompatibility with .Net 4.7, among them Autdesk

So, I think this problem needs to be escalated.

• Edited by Aner Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:37 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:35 PM
  • Hi Bridge,

I'm so sorry for the inconvenience this issue brings to you.

I have test on my Win 10 Fall creators Update version, reproduce this issue successfully: can't install

So I help you submit this feedback:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3145118

Microsoft .Net Framework and Win 10 product team will evaluate it seriously. Please wait patiently till it is fixed.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:30 AM