Upgrading Domain from 2003 to 2008 with SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am standing in front of a problem which is kind of complicated I think:
    We have a Win 2003 Domain which is in a non-english language. This Domain Controller will be upgraded these days to a Win 2008 Domain Controller with English Language. Because of different languages there is no in-place upgrade of the Windows Server OS. In fact (but most people are happy about that) the Domain Controller will be a complete new server installation (we will get rid of a lot mess). However, we have a SharePoint 2010 Enterprise in that Domain and now we are thinking what problems could occur. We even think about a new SharePoint installation as there are only about 5 to 10 users using it at the moment.

Can you help me out of here? Are there any books or some kind of documentation regarding this topic? What problems could occur I don't think about at the moment? Are users directly stored in the databases with domain name?

Thanks!
    Regards
    Christian

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:55 AM

Answers

• That is a pretty complex scenario and answers to your questions depend greatly on the specifics. Will the NetBIOS name change? Will the domain structure change? Are usernames changing?

Usernames for SharePoint permissions are stored per site, in the content databases as "Domain\Username" (unless you're using Claims). If the domain name isn't changing, you should be OK. You can also use the stsadm -o migrateuser command if the domain or username will be changing. Also, you might want to consider Axceler ControlPoint, they have a "replace user" function and can search the entire farm.

If you have the option, you should stand up the new domain with the old, create a two-way trust and take care of permissions in SharePoint and other systems and then turn off the old domain when everything is working as it should.

Wahid Saleemi Sr. Consultant, Avanade http://www.wahidsaleemi.com
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:01 AM