Brightness settings not working

Question

• is there any fix for the brightness settings?

tried on different notebooks and not working at all (2 samsung and a vaio)

under control panel and metro i can use the sliders but no changes on screen.

if I use for ex. samsung easy display settings, the slider(bars) not moving at all..

(user control is set in bios)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:24 PM

All replies

• okay.. got it working on samsung..

shame but I had to downgrade the intel graphics drivers to the stone-age one from samsung's website as looks like it has the brightness control integrated..

• Marked as answer by SeteboS Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SeteboS Friday, September 16, 2011 11:56 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Let me guess, you're using a notebook with Intel HD graphics (pre SandyBridge most likely?)? I have the same problem on my HP tm2t with Intel HD graphics (Core i3). Not sure what is causing it besides a driver issue, or how Windows is initializing the driver. The only work around I know of is open up Device Manager (Search > Settings > Device Manager), and go to Display Adapters, and disable your graphics card and re-enable it. That should do it for that session. Upon restart, it reverts back to its problem, that's why I don't know if it's Windows or the driver, or both.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:56 PM
  • yes intel HD.. try downgrade to hp driver..
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:58 PM
  • How were you able to downgrade it? I tried that with another driver, and I still didn't get brightness control back. Will try with an older one later. Did you have to manually install the driver using the inf?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:15 PM
  • look for the driver HP offers for your notebook.. (i mean download from hp site because it could have some modifications regarding your hardware compared to intel's official version..)

i've downloaded mine from samsungs site and simply used the installer. it does the job.. dont have to manually install (just had to confirm to overwrite newer drivers..)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Doesn't seem to work for me. I installed the stock driver, and no go still with brightness. It works after installation, but after a reboot it doesn't work unless I re-enable the device. One thing I noticed though is that screen rotation is a heck of a lot smoother, no more black screen inbetween.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:08 AM
  • i just realized i have the same issue.. after restart its not working again..

looks like some kind of startup loading issue.. i will have a closer look later on today and let you know

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:12 PM
  • looks like the problem is with the igfx driver/service as if I load it manually i get the brightness settings working but it screws up the device settings.. (duplicates the detected device with errors..)
    • Edited by SeteboS Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:25 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:24 PM