locked
configuration of subreports (using SharePoint integration) RRS feed

  • Question

  • User1467360050 posted

    I have a report that I would like to add a subreport to. Pretty simple...right?

    I have a working parent report and have also created a report that will be used as a sub report on the parent. To setup the subreport, I drag on a subreport object and open up the Subreport Properties. In the "Use this report as a subreport" textbox, I choose Browse, and then navigate to the SharePoint library that contains both the parent, and the child report. I then choose the child report as the source of my subreport. Upon returning from that dialog, the "Use this report as a subreport" textbox has the full URL to the location of the subreport, http://SERVER/RS TEST/Subreport_Data.rdl

    Before I hook the two together I just tried running report, but get the error Failed to preview report. The ReportName for the subreport is not valid. Item names cannot contain the following reserved characters ;?:@&=+$,\*<>|. This is coming from the colon in the full URL location. I did some searching on MSDN and found this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207114.aspx.

    In that article it reads:

    Use this report as a subreport

    Specify the report to include as a subreport.

    1 - For a report published to a report server configured for native mode, use a full or relative path without the file extension. For example, http://server1/Folder3/Report2.

    2 - For a report published to a report server configured in SharePoint integrated mode, use a the name of the subreport in the same folder as the main report. Include the file extension. Relative paths are not supported. For example, Report1.rdl.

    I am using the second method so I changed my ReportName to: Subreport_Data.rdl. When trying to run the report (saving is fine) I am now faced with the error: Failed to preview report. The ReportName for the subreport is not valid.

    However, when launching the parent report from within the SharePoint document library, the report opens fine.

    Am I to assume that when running in SharePoint integration mode, that you are unable to preview reports from within Report Builder 2.0?

    On a side-note, does anyone know how to change the SharePoint context menu option "Edit in Report Builder" to open with Report Builder 2.0 instead of 1.0? I downloaded Report Builder 2.0 to create several reports but now when I choose to edit them from within SharePoint the system tries to open the report using Report Builder 1.0 and the report fails.

    Thanks,

    TJ

     

    Friday, November 21, 2008 12:47 PM

Answers

All replies

  • User-1190926628 posted

    This appears to be a known bug.

     http://www.windows-tech.info/15/5e3bc7abe2aae36d.php

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, November 21, 2008 1:38 PM
  • User-162770551 posted

    The fact that reportname gives the .rdl extension in Sharepoint and not in Native Mode is actually a good thing. It makes it easy to determine if the .RDL extionsion is needed for the drill-in’s. I spent all day looking for a solution and no where did this suggestion come up but it seems to work well..

    =IIF( InStr(UCASE(Globals!ReportName),"RDL") > 0 , "reporttocall.rdl","reporttocall")

    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:24 PM