none
Add-in ribbon tab disappears. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I wrote an add-in and distributed it to some colleagues, no one complained about it, except one.

He installs the add-in and the add-in ribbon tab is visible, after closing and reopening Excel this tab is not there anymore. However looking in the loaded add-ins, my add-in is loaded. Why is the tab not visible anymore?

We are both running Win 7 Enterprise, Excel 2013.

Kind regards,

JP

Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The problem got solved today. As we are not always working on the same location or one is in homeworking, I mailed him some checks to execute and let me know the result. One was to check the file properties and to unblock it if needed but he confirmed that all was OK and I didn't think to check it myself yesterday. So I did it this morning and yes, the file was still blocked. Unblocking it made it working. I'll never forget! Thanks for the support, I appreciate.

Kind regards,

JP Ronse
    • Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Wednesday, August 2, 2017 5:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by JP Ronse Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi JP,

It may be caused by the ribbon(UI), I suggest your colleague set Show Add-in User Interface Errors and test if there is error when loading the ribbon. Besides, I suggest your colleague disable other add-ins to test if there is any add-in conflict with this add-in.

Best Regards,

Terry

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:07 AM
  • Hi Terry,

I'll give it a try but doubt a bit on the possibility of errors in the ribbon as he is the only who reports this behaviour.

Best regards,

JP

• Edited by JP Ronse Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:01 PM
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Check whether the add-in is 'disabled' by Excel:

File -> Options -> Add-Ins, then pick Manage: Disabled Items.

Excel might disabled an add-in if Excel crashes or is closed while the add-in is being loaded or executed.

-Govert

Excel-DNA - Free and easy .NET for Excel

Saturday, July 22, 2017 10:16 PM
  • If an add-in attempts to manipulate the Microsoft Office user interface (UI) and fails, no error message is displayed. Your custom UI will be hidden silently. So, your add-in is still enabled (not listed in the Disabled items list) and no UI is visible to a user, that is the case. 

Also I'd recommend trying to disable all other add-ins in Excel. It may be incompatibility with other add-ins.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

I'm running the add-in with a lof of other add-ins without problems but as test my colleague has disabled all other add-ins.

When he activates the add-in the first time the custom UI is visible and we activated already "show add-in user interface errors". No message was displayed. Closing and restarting Excel, it is listed in the active add-ins but no custom UI. And the file is also not loaded in the VB editor.

Monday, July 24, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi JP Ronse,

->And the file is also not loaded in the VB editor.

It seems that the add-in is an VBA add-in(*.xlam/xla), right?

Could your colleague load other VBA add-in whatever it has a custom UI or not?

You could create a simply VBA add-in with custom UI and a simply VBA add-in without custom UI and then check if they could be load on your colleagues excel.

I suggest you check if your colleague has the same office building number as yours.

You could try to upgrade to last version to keep you have the same building number.

You could also try to repair office of your colleague's computer.

Besides, I also suggest you share use your VBA add-in so we could try to reproduce your issue.

Best Regards,

Terry

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Yes, it is a xlam.

I'll see my colleague on Friday, will do some tests with him/his PC's and come back.

You can download the add-in JP's Extension

Kind regards,

JP

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:52 PM
  • Hi JP,

another developer has had the same issue on Excel 2016 and found the solution, check out this registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\15.0\common\toolbars\excel]
    "noextensibilitycustomizationfromdocument"=dword:00000000

Here's the thread:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9e2c3ce4-0584-4f18-9624-4f3f2d4c68ce/excel-addin-wont-show-up-on-office-2016

Andreas.

EDIT: Can also be this key (same path):

"disabletoolbarcustomizationui"=dword:00000000

Thursday, July 27, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Hi JP Ronse,

Has your original issue been resolved now? If it has, I suggest you provide your solution for other developers could use this forum efficient. If not, please share us your testing result. I have download your add-in file, but failed to reproduce your issue. You could also take Andreas's suggestion and have a try.

Best Regards,

Terry

Friday, July 28, 2017 6:53 AM
  • Hi Terry,

I wass not able to do some tests today because we were both involved by an ISO audit, I'll return as soon as I got some more test results.

I'll certainly share the solution if we have found one.

Kind regards,

JP

• Edited by JP Ronse Friday, July 28, 2017 5:05 PM
    Friday, July 28, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

I'll give it a try as soon as my colleague has some time.

Kind regards,

JP

• Edited by JP Ronse Friday, July 28, 2017 5:04 PM
    Friday, July 28, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Hi Andreas, Terry,

I scanned the registry but the keys couldn't be found. It would have surprised me if they were because we both are using a company PC and our rights are very limited, f.e. we cannot even run an install script.

I tried also to install your add-in, same behavior, your tab is visible after the installation but not anymore after restarting Excel. Terry, FYI, Andreas and I wrote the our ribbon xml completely independent.

I start doubting if - although Excel shows the add-ins as loaded - Excem has really opened the files:

1. I don't see them in the VBE.
    2. My UDF's are not available and the registry group has not been created.

There was also a comm add-in loaded (send to Bluetooth), disabling it made no change.

To check if another add-in (.xla) was loaded and working, I tried to make the add-ins tab visible, even that I had to try several times.

Another issue is that he cannot use our planning file. That is a "normal" xlms but also with an own tab wherein we keep track of presences and absences of the team. Works perfect for 3 of us except him.

Therefore, I suggested an Office repair.

As this is the last week before my holidays and I don't know when his office can be repaired, it will be september before I can return on this but if we found a solution I'll let it know.

Kind regards,

JP

Monday, July 31, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

The problem got solved today. As we are not always working on the same location or one is in homeworking, I mailed him some checks to execute and let me know the result. One was to check the file properties and to unblock it if needed but he confirmed that all was OK and I didn't think to check it myself yesterday. So I did it this morning and yes, the file was still blocked. Unblocking it made it working. I'll never forget! Thanks for the support, I appreciate.

Kind regards,

JP Ronse
    • Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Wednesday, August 2, 2017 5:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by JP Ronse Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi JP Ronse,

I'm glad to hear that you have solved the issue. I suggest you mark your solution as answer to close this thread. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,

Terry

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:45 AM