none
Use Multiple depth sensor on one computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all:

I hava installed the new 1.0SDK, I want to know can I use two depth sensor on one computer?

thx

Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'm not much of a programmer, but can you be more specific?  Are you able to program well enough to get the reading from one sensor?  If so, some of the SDK programming uses collections, and you would simply reference "kinect[0]" or "kinect[1]" to get the readings from each.
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:55 PM
  • I mean use two kinect depth sensor at the same time,so that I can reconstruct objects。I don't know whether it is passible.
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:47 PM
  • I'm using a Kinect for Windows and a Kinect for XBox 360 at the same time, so yes, you can. You have to have them on seperate USB host controllers. If you go into device manager, under USB Controllers there should be a listing for each controller. Most off the shelf desktops will have two controls, one for the front panel, one for the back. Enthusiast motherboards may one, pretty much, for each port. All USB devices on a host controller share the same bandwidth and two Kinects are too much for USB 2.0.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Thanks a lot.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 7:59 AM
  • Hi LilBudyWizer,thank you very much. I am a new progamer, I have one more question. Have you ever try to use two depth camera face to face,how about the noise.

Thx

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:24 AM
  • I wouldn't try face to face. The IR emitter is a laser and it just seems a bad idea to shine laser into the sensor. The fields can overlap with little interference. If I wanted them on opposite sides of an object I would ceiling mount them so they are pointing down rather than at each other.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hey LilBudyWizer,

I was pointed to here. It seems that you have experiencing connecting multiple Kinects to a single desktop. Could you answer me some questions?

I tried two PCI cards connecting two kinects, it works perfectly. But when I add the 3rd PCI card, and try to run the 3rd application with the 3rd Kinect, it crashed. I printed out the number of Kinects, it said 3 kinects were detected though; but then, I got this error:

Unhandled exception at 0x76f822b2 in KinectSDKandOF.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x000000fc.

My desktop is 3 years old, and cpu was used as 100% without running the 3rd applications. Maybe that is the problem?

I was using old sdk (beta 2) with Kinect for Xbox.

Any suggestions/guess will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much ahead!

Lining YAO

Sunday, March 4, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Hi Lining,

I would recommend that you always create a new thread with your question so that the entire community can help you out. That said, without knowning what is in your code there is no way to know where this error is coming from. What API are you calling that is causing the Access Violation?

Most causes are a uninitialized pointer or you deleted the object your are trying to reference at a later point.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:39 PM
  • also, what sensors are you using? Beta 2 does not support Kinect For Windows Hardware.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:13 PM
  • If I recall correctly, it wasn't until after beta2 that we enabled the 3rd and 4th KinectSensor from the same process.

Moving to v1.0 should solve this for you.

Thanks, Rob Relyea | Kinect for Windows team

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:25 PM