question about cpu utilization per request logging RRS feed

• Question

• User-1511024106 posted

Hi,

I just installed advanced logging, and in the log files i see cpu util values of 18.18 for example for .gif files..

that doesnt make sense.. there's no processing to be done with a gif file. it's not a server-side executable file..

so what am i missing here?

10x

Monday, March 8, 2010 1:23 PM

All replies

• User-1292338562 posted

The cpu util value is for the machine and not for that individual request.  We're grabbing numbers from perfCounters and unfortunately, it is not available to such a granular degree.

Monday, March 8, 2010 2:12 PM
  • User-1511024106 posted

ok so how shoul i use the logs to identify the cause of my 100% cpu?

Monday, March 8, 2010 2:27 PM
  • User-1292338562 posted

i'm not sure you can, really.  The logs help to determine the health of your web sites and knowing the cpu can sometimes help identify why certain requests are failing unexpectedly.  for instance, if you notice that you're getting a bunch of failed requests during a certain time period, knowing that the cpu is pegged at 100% during those same time periods can indicate another process running that is likely stealing resources that you were not aware of.  Since the cpu value is machine wide, its highly likely that a process external to your web site is consuming your resources and this would not show up in your web logs.

You can try ProcessExplorer to find the individual process(es) that might be pegging your cpu.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Monday, March 8, 2010 4:01 PM