none
What does 'Not allowed, not restricted' in the Firewall Status column of Resource Monitor mean? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7 x64.

I have searched local help as well as the internet for an answer to this question without finding a single reference to the column in question.

In the windows resource monitor, Network tab, Listening Ports section, there is a column named "Firewall Status."  In every case the value in this column is "Not allowed, not restricted."

I know it may seem like the meaning should be obvious, but it is not at all obvious to me.  Can anyone explain the meaning of this column?

And should not the meaning of this column be defined in the documentation for resource monitor?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this column.

P.S.:  I am familiar with the windows firewall, including the nature of incoming and outgoing rules, but still am clueless when it comes to the meaning of "Not allowed, not restricted."

Charles S. Cotton

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Sheng,

In the event I receive a helpful response, I will mark the response as an answer.

Please don't post non-answers to my threads, Sheng, as they create the false impression that my question has been answered when the reality is that no answer has been provided.  Thank you.

Charles S. Cotton
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:20 PM
  • What did I say before, Sheng?  I asked you to not post non-answers to my threads, you you persist.  Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

MVP, my ass.  I can't imagine anything less valuable than the 'advice' you provide.

Charles S. Cotton

• Marked as answer by Charles Cotton Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:07 AM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:07 AM

All replies

• For help in resmon, try http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/perfmon/threads

This forum is NOT for help in using Windows. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Friday, July 8, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Hi Sheng,

In the event I receive a helpful response, I will mark the response as an answer.

Please don't post non-answers to my threads, Sheng, as they create the false impression that my question has been answered when the reality is that no answer has been provided.  Thank you.

Charles S. Cotton
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:20 PM
  • You are in the wrong forum. That's why you don't get a lot of viewers. Go to the correct forum to increase your chance of someone who want to offer the help you need.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, July 8, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Upvote for calling them out on their bullsh*t. 
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 3:35 PM
  • A self-disclaimed software guy think this thread belongs to here? you can't tell the difference between windbg and resmon? have you ever used windbg?

Imagine when people want to help others on resmon, what would they do? They go patrol the forum that has most resmon questions. This forum has never had a resmon question solved. Nobody patrol a windbg forum for resmon - a topic that got mentioned here only once (in this thread btw) in the last 10 years. 

When people got on the wrong bus, you don't assure them "yes we go there". You ask them to get off asap and point them where to get on the correct bus. The fact that the two buses are ran by the same company does not mean the passenger gets taxied between busses. 

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:49 PM
  • What did I say before, Sheng?  I asked you to not post non-answers to my threads, you you persist.  Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

MVP, my ass.  I can't imagine anything less valuable than the 'advice' you provide.

Charles S. Cotton

• Marked as answer by Charles Cotton Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:07 AM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:07 AM
  • well my reply is the only helpful answer here for other people who accidentally landed on this page from searches on "resource monitor" due to a wrongly placed post (yeah your post reduces the ranking of this forum for queries that it is best for, and increase its ranking for queries that it should not be in to begin with).  

For both of you, if you haven't read how to ask question the smart way, now is the time. The worst thing you can do to the answer rate of your questions (not just here, but anywhere on the internet) is misguiding yourself to a wrong forum/bbs/mailing list - and stay there. 

Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:10 PM
  • This is clearly not a helpfull thread, can some PLEASE delete it
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:52 AM
  • sorry if there's any mods remaining in this forum, this thread will be moved a long time ago. 

y I agree this thread should be moved or deleted. Without this thread you should have landed on a better forum by now. 

If you are not sure where to post, search the where is the forum for forum for hints. Many mods would state what their forums scope when moving off-topic posts there, like what described in this post:

"Hello, The Windows Desktop Perfmon and Diagnostic tools forum is to discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios. As the question is off topic here, I am moving it to the Where is the Forum... forum."

Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:40 PM