Visual Studio 2013 Web Deploy will list some files to be deployed although they were not modified since the last web deployment RRS feed

• Question

• User-540818677 posted

I am working on an asp.net mvc-5 web application , and i am using Visual Studio 2013 , to publish my web application to an online hosting using web deploy.

now i published my web application correctly. and i check it online and every thing is working well.. then today i modify a view named "Contact.cshtml" and a file named "style.css", and then I try to publish again. i was expecting that only the two files will be shown in the preview window since they differ from the publish files. but i was surprised that my

project.dll

is being listed although i did not chnage it (i did not modify any cs file) and the modified date for this .dll is that same modified date which is online..so can anyone adivce on this ?

here is how the preview window inside VS 2013 looks like:-

enter image description here

So can anyone advice why my project.dll file is listed although i did not modify it since i did my last web deployment ?

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:12 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

So can anyone advice why my project.dll file is listed although i did not modify it since i did my last web deployment ?

This is the explanation of web application Projects versus web site projects, I think it can give you good understanding for this issue.

You typically copy all of your source code to the web server when you deploy a web site project. In a web application project, source code is compiled into an assembly (a .dll file), and that is what has to be on the web server.

An advantage of web application projects is that you can avoid deploying source code to the IIS server. In some scenarios, such as shared hosting environments, you might be concerned about unauthorized access to source code on the IIS server. For a web site project, you can avoid this risk by precompiling on a development computer and deploying the generated assemblies instead of the source code. However, in that case you lose some of the benefits of easy site updates.

An advantage of web site projects is that when you make a small change to a web site, you do not have to redeploy the whole site. Instead, you can copy just the changed file or files to the production IIS server. You can also edit files directly on the production server. Because a web application project's code files are compiled into a single assembly file, you must deploy the whole site even for small changes, unless the only change is to an .aspx or .ascx file.

Regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 7:43 AM