none
Windows 7 Word 2010 macro problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large old Word file that uses a macro for automatically reformatting text and tables imported from Powerpoint (i.e. Handouts).  The macro itself lives in a custom .dot file, which I enabled (in Office 2003) by using Tool>Add Ins and turning it on (it's used sporadically so this was always fine)

I've recently upgraded to Win7 and Office 2010 from XP/2003.  Unforrtunately, Word 2010 won't allow the macro to run as I have with 2003.  I've gotten around it once by saving the file in an older file format, but success has been inconsistent.  Is there a reason that Word 2010 doesn't support macros from older versions of Word?  Is there a way to allow their use if 2010 blocks their use, or some other workaround?  The error message mentions incompatibility but I know little about the VBA for Office macros (much more about VB.Net) so I'm not really sure where to look as far as code incompatibility.  The Macro itself does not have "protection" turned on.

Thanks for any help.

Peter

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:55 AM

Answers

• Prior to Office 2007 macros were allowed in .dot formatted tempates but now they need to be placed into dotm formatted templates.  I suspect that is what the problem is with your macro not executing.

Open you old template as a file and export the macros.  Then create a new template (dotm) and import your macros into this file.  Store your new template in your User Templates folder, which is normally the App Data/Roaming/Microsoft/Templates folder under your user directory.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

• Proposed as answer by KCDW Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, March 5, 2012 10:00 AM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:53 PM