Is it possible to automatically run my app? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I need to run my app(mail app for Outlook) automatically, when the user is composing a message or appointment(task pane should automatically appear). Is it possible? Or can I make a button on ribbon that launch my app?

Thanks.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Tymond,

>>Is it possible to automatically run my app?<<

As far as I test, No. We still need to choose which app we want to use.

Based on my undstanding, it is desgined to let user to deside which app he/she will use since there may be lots of apps are actived. And if all taskpanes in actived apps display automaticlly, it may affect the experience of Outlook.

If you do want mail app support this feature at further version, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Customer Feedback for the Office Developer Platform

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Tymond Friday, March 27, 2015 7:28 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

> Is it possible?

Yes, it is. You can specify the activation context for your mail app.

> Or can I make a button on ribbon that launch my app?

No, you can't launch the app from the custom UI. Nowadays the Office extensibility model doesn't provide anything for that.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Thanks for reply. Can you describe how can i specify context properly? I need that my app always start automatically when user begins create new appointment( task pane should automatically appear after user clicks New Items -> Appointment). 
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:23 PM
  • Hi Tymond,

>>Is it possible to automatically run my app?<<

As far as I test, No. We still need to choose which app we want to use.

Based on my undstanding, it is desgined to let user to deside which app he/she will use since there may be lots of apps are actived. And if all taskpanes in actived apps display automaticlly, it may affect the experience of Outlook.

If you do want mail app support this feature at further version, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Customer Feedback for the Office Developer Platform

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Tymond Friday, March 27, 2015 7:28 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 3:35 AM
  • Thank you! I will use the opportunity to submit feedback.
    Friday, March 27, 2015 7:28 AM