none
mapping a disk shown up in Azure portal to an actual disk on the OS

Question

• Hi,

I have multiple data disks of the same size attached to my virtual machine. I am trying to backup one of the data disks before detaching it from the Azure portal, but I cannot figure out the mapping between a disk shown in Azure portal to the disk shown on the OS(in Disk Manager). 

Can someone please help me in figuring out how we map an Azure portal data disk to a disk in disk manager?

Thanks!!

Thursday, April 21, 2016 4:09 PM

All replies

• Greetings!

Thank you for posting here!

How exactly are you attempting to backup a data disk by detaching it?

If my understanding of your concern is correct, you are unable to view the data disks attached to the VM within Windows, let me know if it something else.

When you added the data disks to the VM, you will have to initialize the added disk via Disk Management.

If you are running a Windows Server OS on your VM, then kindly follow the steps outlined in the link below
    How to: initialize a new data disk in Windows Server

You may want to know

Back up Azure virtual machines

Regards,
    Ajay

Friday, April 22, 2016 7:08 AM
  • LUN is the identifier to use for mapping a disk from within the VM to outside of VM. I believe portal does not display the LUN currently. You may need to use PowerShell cmdlet for getting that info. Once you have the LUN for each attached disk, you can go into the Disk Manager and look at the LUN for the disks listed there and identify the disk.
    Monday, April 25, 2016 11:46 PM