Windows 8 Build Server

Question

• Hi.  We have a  custom Build Sever (really just a Windows Server 2012 running VS2012) to build line of business apps.  We schedule the build, then build using MSBuild.exe.  I am wondering.  What is the best way to go about installing the Windows 8 Developer License on the machine?  Should I just try to build a Windows 8 app, wait for the prompt and configure it with our Windows Developer license?  Or is there a better way?  Will it prompt me to reinstall the license like Visual Studio does every so often?

Thanks.

www.techtronic.us - My App www.spaceweatherapp.com

Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:25 PM

All replies

• You don't need Visual Studio or to wait for the license to expire to renew it. You can request the license proactively in PowerShell with the Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration cmdlet as described in Obtaining or renewing your developer license (the page says Windows RT, but the same applies to Windows 8). This still requires elevation and entering the Microsoft account associated with the Developer License.

Developer Licenses expire after a month if they aren't associated with a store account or after three months if they are.

--Rob

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:33 AM
  • Man, every 90 days is rough... it seems that is the same with TFS Team Build and Windows 8 build agents...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn166931.aspx

Looks like we'll just have to remote execute the PowerShell script remotely every 90 days.  Bummer.  Thanks for the tip on the PS Cmdlet!

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:39 AM
  • Do you know if this will ever be lifted or changed?  I understand that Microsoft needs to know if you still have a valid developer license but having to run this every 90 days on an enterprise build server seems like just another administrative task that we have to worry about.

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:33 PM