none
linking Azure table RRS feed

• Question

• Would like to solicit feedback from any developers out there that have implemented an Access front end to Azure SQL tables in the back end.

Not soliciting Azure instructions per se - that is managed by someone else - but rather the user experience / lags / and manageability of the front end when in this type scenario.

Also: I have a link at fmsinc.com that outlines the steps to link.  Am wondering if there is a MS page that outlines the table link steps in regard to what Azure IDs/permission one must have in hand to follow the link table manager thru to the end.  

Saturday, May 19, 2018 1:33 PM

All replies

• Hi msdnPublicIdentity,

You can try to refer links below that may help you.

Linking Access applications to SQL Server - Azure SQL DB (AccessToSQL)

Connecting to Azure SQL DB (AccessToSQL)

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 21, 2018 9:41 AM
  • thank you for the links.  

there is an emphasis on migrating tables from Access to Azure, which is not the scenario that I am involved.  In my case it is linking to a single table/view that pre-exists in an Azure platformed Application..... that's just fyi...

In the second link you provided - the first instructions have me lost:

On the File menu, select Connect to SQL Azure (this option is enabled after the creation of a project).

I don't see that option in Access 2013 desktop database - - though the instruction does note that the option is not enabled until creation 'of a project'....and so I'm unclear what the creation of a project entails in regard to Azure.

All in all - thinks are not very clear; and based upon the lack of contributions to my original post I am getting the distinct impression that this is not mainstream in this user community.  I wonder if I should instead go to the Azure user community as linking a Windows front end is perhaps something they do more frequently.

Monday, May 21, 2018 12:59 PM
  • Hi msdnPublicIdentity,

You had mentioned that,"I wonder if I should instead go to the Azure user community as linking a Windows front end is perhaps something they do more frequently."

I think it is better idea because we are not available with azure to reproduce the issue and make a test with it.

So we can only provide the links.

On that forum, Possibly they have both Azure and Access to reproduce the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:43 AM