Moving from one Win 8 to another

Question

• I recently upgraded to Windows 8 WITHOUT developer apps (the smaller, 3.6 gb download); not realizing I wouldn't be able to launch any of the metro apps. I downloaded the Win 8 preview WITH developer apps, but when I began the installation process the installer did not give the option to save any information. I suppose this is because the Developer Preview is incapable of upgrading/downgrading to any other OS at the moment. Could you tell me if I am right, and if this will be Changed?
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:57 PM

Answers

• I recently upgraded to Windows 8 WITHOUT developer apps (the smaller, 3.6 gb download); not realizing I wouldn't be able to launch any of the metro apps.

All versions of the Windows 8 Developer Preview allow running the included Metro apps, you don't need the Developer Tools version to open and use Metro apps.

If you have a netbook with a 1024x600 screen Metro apps will not run. 1024x768 is the minimum for Metro apps to run.

Several people have reported that they can be run in you connect an external display that is 1024x768 or larger.

You can try this modification to allow higher resolutions:
    http://www.netbooklive.com/how-to-get-better-resolution-on-your-standard-10-inch-netbook-2772/

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Hey Avmeister,

In addition to the information above. The Windows Developer Preview with developer tools requires a clean install. For more information about what types of installation are possible for Windows Developer Preview with or without developer tools, please see the answer provided in the link below:
    How can I upgrade to Windows Developer Preview from Windows 7?

Note: As TrekDozer stated above, it's not necessary to install the Windows Developer Preview version that contains the developer tools to use the Metro style applications that are included with Windows Developer Preview.

Steven
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:55 AM

All replies

• I recently upgraded to Windows 8 WITHOUT developer apps (the smaller, 3.6 gb download); not realizing I wouldn't be able to launch any of the metro apps.

All versions of the Windows 8 Developer Preview allow running the included Metro apps, you don't need the Developer Tools version to open and use Metro apps.

If you have a netbook with a 1024x600 screen Metro apps will not run. 1024x768 is the minimum for Metro apps to run.

Several people have reported that they can be run in you connect an external display that is 1024x768 or larger.

You can try this modification to allow higher resolutions:
    http://www.netbooklive.com/how-to-get-better-resolution-on-your-standard-10-inch-netbook-2772/

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Hey Avmeister,

In addition to the information above. The Windows Developer Preview with developer tools requires a clean install. For more information about what types of installation are possible for Windows Developer Preview with or without developer tools, please see the answer provided in the link below:
    How can I upgrade to Windows Developer Preview from Windows 7?

Note: As TrekDozer stated above, it's not necessary to install the Windows Developer Preview version that contains the developer tools to use the Metro style applications that are included with Windows Developer Preview.

Steven
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:55 AM