Initialization of isolated storage after deleting the cache manually from the Silverlight configuration/application storage. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using an out of browser application. Whenever I delete the Silverlight cache using Silverlight Configuration/Application Storage and try to get the reference of the Local Storage (Even after restarting the application) then application throws the following exception:

"Initialization failed"

at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.FetchOrCreateGroup(String groupName, IsolatedStorageAccountingInfo& accountInfo, Boolean retry)
       at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.FetchOrCreateGroup(String groupName, IsolatedStorageAccountingInfo& accountInfo, Boolean retry)
       at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.FetchOrCreateGroup(String groupName, IsolatedStorageAccountingInfo& accountInfo)
       at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetUserStore(String group, String id)
       at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetUserStoreForApplication()

I am trying to get the reference of isolated storage as follow:

using(varappStore = IsolatedStorageFile.GetUserStoreForApplication())

{

}

We are able to recover from the above mentioned issue using one of the following two ways:

1. Reinstalling the out of browser application from the web browser.
    2. Removing the pendingcleanup.dat file from the local storage directory.

Both of these solutions need manual intervention. Is there any alternative to initialize the local storage through code? Shouldn't it be handled by Silverlight itself?

It should be noted that "Enable application storage" has been checked.

Thanks in advance!

Sudhir

• Edited by sudhir5409 Monday, October 21, 2013 11:32 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Base on understanding, it may due to the permission denied. Please make sure to log in as administrator account to delete silverlight application storage.

Also, another manual intervention is to delete the folder in  %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Silverlight\is

best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

As far as my credential is concerned, I am an administrator of the system. It should not be any restriction to be an administrator as any user on the web can use the Silverlight application.

Also deletion of the Silverlight Isolated storage manually is not a good idea since all the user who is using the Silverlight application might not be technically strong to handle if any issue occurs. It would rather better to reinstall the Silverlight application (but this is also not working on few machines :( )

This is the reason we are trying to reinitialize the Isolated storage using the Silverlight application itself.

Note: we have found a use case to replicate the issue as follow:

• Open the page from where you can install the Out Of Browser Silverlight Application in any browser.
    • Install the Out Of Browser Silverlight Application
    • Let the Page open in the browser and delete the Silverlight Isolated storage cache using Silverlight Configuration/Application storage
    • A PendingCleanUP.dat gets added in Silverlight Isolated storage. This means the isolated storage has been marked as deleted.
    • If I will move to any other page rather than the section from where I am installing the out of browser application and then delete the Silverlight Isolated storage cache from the out of browser application itself then its working fine.

Regards

Sudhir Kumar

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:14 AM
  • This solution works perfectly. i tried all other solution in web nothing worked .

The above solution works perfectly thanks a lot.

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:44 AM