none
BizTalk Schema Exposed as WCF - Itinerary - Acknowledgement Response

Question

• Hello

I would like to expose a schema as a WCF service to external clients to which they will be submitting request messages.

There is a Itinerary that we would like to trigger when the request messages come in. Its easy as I can configure the Itinerary on the new receive location that BizTalk creates when exposing the schema.

The problem is that this Itinerary can take long time to complete and we do not want the client to wait for the response message.  Also, we would like to send a custom acknowledgement message immediately after receiving the request and not hold the client waiting.

I did see some posts online with various suggestions about writing a custom pipeline or promoting the correlation properties but, none of these seem to be clear and complete. I tried going down the custom orchestration exposed as WCF which executes a custom pipeline built the same way the "ItinerarySelectReceiveXml" pipeline is built but, that didn't work either.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 2:20 PM

All replies

• That scenario is pretty trivial with an Orchestration.  Why are you bothering with an Itinerary?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Hi

The reason is that we already have this itinerary in production and working. We want expose the functionality now as a WCF service. But, at the same time we don't want this change to be synchronous (client waits for the itinerary to finish) and want to send a acknowledgement response back to the client using this WCF service and carry on normal.

If there was no Itinerary, as you said its quite easy but, unfortunately we want to keep it.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:06 PM
  • did you find an answer on this I am facing a similar problem...

Biztalk Developer

Thursday, June 4, 2015 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

I want to understand, how are you sending custom acknowledge message to customer.

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:06 AM