general UI considerations (Metro vs Windows)

General discussion

• okay one important thing to mention, apart from the fact that I don't particularly like the Metro UI is that you constantly have to switch between the two interfaces, Metro and classic (aka Win7 like UI). There's no other choice so obviously as too few Metro apps exist atm. And it doesn't matter if there's no other choice but to deal with a hybrid interface, that is just upsetting. Even all the system interfaces, called from the Metro UI send you back to the classic UI. It's all done on top of Windows Seven, ie Windows Seven is not just there in the background, or in parallel if needed, it's half of the OS UI.

I for one would rather keep dual-booting as long as necessary, i.e. run a Win7  system on one side and a full Metro OS on the other side. I don't want to run a hybrid OS and I don't like the concept. I may be overreacting... I don't know, I've always been fond so far of every new iteration of Windows from 3.1 to Seven. But this is something else now, you guys @MS are in the process of switching to a brand new operating system (I understand that I admit that and I have no problem with that) and have no other choice but offer a transitional version (Windows 8). That's precisely what I don't really want to live with, a transitional and hybrid OS so it appears that I may have to wait for Windows 9 :)). One last thing: I always switched immediately until now, ie as soon as a new version of Windows was released. Windows 8 might well be the exception.

Guys I don't know if this forum is just meant to report issues with the preview or if commenting and discussing is okay here...

ps: I purposely titled this thread Metro vs Windows ;)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:49 AM

All replies

• Thank you for your feedback.  We are always glad to hear of your experiences with Windows Developer Preview and ideas to improve it.
    Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:23 PM
  • you're welcome. I've removed the preview now. This doesn't mean that I turned my back on Windows 8 for good. I'm quite aware that the preview only contains a couple of features that MS chose to show us, as said, just a preview of the product. This means that I'll be glad to test the beta and the RC when they're out, with more stability, and a more feature complete environment ;-)

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:31 PM