Changing and modifying database while in Azure RRS feed

• Question

• User-2097295820 posted

I am through building web application. I have hosted it on Azure. But I now scared of launching it for general public use because I dont know how to work on a live database.

I was told by a friend that there are softwares that can help check database changes. Making comparison with live and local db. 

Please I need advice on how to work on a live db. I built with EF code first approach. I am scared of messing up users datas. I can't afford to make mistakes because I have financial payments on my app.

Please I need advice and recommendation of tools that would help so I simulate this before going live to the public

Friday, September 2, 2016 3:43 PM

Answers

• User-491950272 posted

Greetings,

You don't have to worry. It is pretty straightforward process. Here are some recommendations that you can follow to overcome your fear:

1. First create your code-first database schema in your Azure SQL instance by changing the connection string in the application to Azure SQL.
    2. Connect your SQL Server management studio with your Azure SQL instance to make sure that your schema worked there.
    3. If you are happy with your schema and now you want the data to be migrated to the production database running in Azure, I don't think you will find any better resource than this, which are best-practices officially from EF team to manage your on-premises and cloud databases.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2016 8:17 PM