none
Compact Embedded Update seems to hang during Silverlight tools update RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to update Compact Embedded 7. It seems to be hanging during the update task "Performing major upgrade of Windows Embedded Silverlight Tools".

Has anyone successfully performed such an update?

How long should it take?

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:21 PM

All replies

• I believe I have found a solution. That is I have managed to get the update to complete the "Performing major upgrade of Windows Embedded Silverlight Tools".

The command which invokes the update is a Visual Studio 2008 menu item (ie the update is a plugin)

There are two possible invocation contexts.

(1) activate Visual Studio via left click - RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

(2) Activate Visual Studio via lef click - Open (equivalent to select menu item, or click of short cut)

Strategy (1) succeeds, strategy (2) fails

File access permissions or access authority is in play. These permissions / authoroities takes precidence of the account authorities (I logged in as a member of the Administrators group).

Can anyone explain why one strategy works and the other does not?

This now begs a second related question.

The update program has a scope selection option (ie you can choose the update level. I choose minimal). Oncve a choice is made there does not appear to be a mechanism for preforming a second update

How do you easily reinvoke the update program? (the Visual Studio menu will check to see if a NEW update is available, discover one is not available and exit. Right now all I can think of is deinstall the update plugin and reinstall. That is just not aestetically pleasing)

• Edited by left_line Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:18 PM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:04 PM