none
Incompatibility between Crystal Reports, SQL Server 2005, and Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Visual Studio Forms Project that hangs when the user tries to export a Crystal Report. It presents a circular motion icon that never ends - no error message. It never gets to the "Export Report" dialog box where you choose an export format. This behavior only occurs on Windows Vista. It works fine on XP. The Crystal Report uses SQL Server 2005 as the data source for various fields in the report. I ran a test case using a CrystalReportViewer without SQL Server and the report exported fine. The problem occurs compiled with either Visual Studio 2005 (Crystal Reports 10.2) or Visual Studio 2008 (Crystal Reports 10.5). It occurs for my end-users who have Vista. I don't have access to the same environment in order to narrow this down further myself.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:01 PM

Answers

• I think I understand what's going on. As I suspected, the problem lies between SQL Server 2005 and Vista. Apparently, a hot fix for SS 2005 will correct this, but the real joke is the section running our servers have to wait for permission to install the patch. Meanwhile, I've upgraded to Vista on my client computer. I now experience additional problems that plague me probably because of the same unpatched SS 2005. The wizard for MS Report Viewer now calls an exception while "retrieving the information from the database". It worked fine on XP.
    • Marked as answer by MattBar Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:49 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:49 PM