none
Workspace - want automatic checkout RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

when i create a workspace for the existing document, it doesn't get checked out - how can i make it automatically cheched out?

And in the workspace, the task, announcements are not sent through email to the members. Also the documents are not set for versioning there, how can i achieve all these automatically?

Regards,
    Deependra

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:50 AM subject expanded - workspace not enough.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:20 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As the workspaces are treated as new pages, they don’t automatically inherit the configurations from the document libraries where documents are originally located.

If you want the document automatically checked out when in edit, please do as the following:

1.       In the workspace,  click Shared Document link, which is the Web Part title of the document.

2.       In the Shared Document which stores the document, click Settings and select Document Library Settings.

3.       Click Versioning settings.

4.       In the following page, check Yes of the option “Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?”

Configuring E-mail alerting or other notification mails are similar.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lionel

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

As the workspaces are treated as new pages, they don’t automatically inherit the configurations from the document libraries where documents are originally located.

If you want the document automatically checked out when in edit, please do as the following:

1.       In the workspace,  click Shared Document link, which is the Web Part title of the document.

2.       In the Shared Document which stores the document, click Settings and select Document Library Settings.

3.       Click Versioning settings.

4.       In the following page, check Yes of the option “Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?”

Configuring E-mail alerting or other notification mails are similar.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lionel

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Do NOT post identical posts to two or more newsgroups.

Içve deleted the duplicate of this one. Please donçt do it again.
    WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wss.asaris.de/sites/walsh/Lists/WSSv3%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:02 AM
  • can i get a goo workspace tutorial anywhere?

Deependra
    -- Deependra
    Monday, March 16, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Hello Deependra,

I didn’t find any detailed tutorial about document workspace in Office SharePoint Server 2007/ Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.

Generally, a document workspace is a new Web site in SharePoint which provide a collaboration place and publishing path for the original document. The options and permission configurations are similar with other SharePoint sites.

If you have any specific questions, please post them in the TechNet forum, we will be glad to provide experiences and helpful information. You could also search the Internet for related topics, as there are 3rd party articles or blogs are written to share the skills.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lionel

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:21 AM
  •  Dear Lionel,

I need some suggestions. I have a site with 5 document libraries - each document library refers to divisions of my organisation. Now users need right for creating workspace - once this is given all the users are able to create their own lists, etc which i do not want. I want them only to able to create site for workspace, no lists and other stuffs - is it possible?

Regards,

-- Deependra
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Hello Deependra,

Thanks for your feedback.

I recommend you to start a new thread for your new question, as the original question has been answered in this thread. That will help other community members to seek/join the discussion more conveniently by the topic.

If I misunderstood you concern, feel free to let us know and we will be happy to provide further assistance.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Lionel

Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:16 AM