none
Incorrect IP address country location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    We are seeing that many of our IP addresses are being regarded as being located in 'Japan' by Office365's spam filter, when in reality they are located in the USA, and have nothing whatsoever to do with Japan.
    See an example below. It seems impossible to communicate this issue to anyone within Microsoft and it could be a factor in the spam calculation. Most emails from that IP range are being incorrectly treated as spam. The problems started around November 2017 when Office365's email spam filters were completely changed.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:28 PM

All replies

• Please explain how this is relevant to something you have written. Is this causing a problem for something you wrote? If not then this is spam for this forum since this forum is for questions asking about Office 365 for Developers.

You should find websites specializing in fighting spam and do some research to determine more information. Research what other spam tools say about the IP addresses.

Did you do a whois for smtp2go.com? It is in New Zealand, not the USA. So no they are not in the USA.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:08 AM
  • I was advised by the Office 365 support team to try asking in the Microsoft Developer forums, as they appear to not be able to get in touch with the team responsible for Office 365 email management. If you know anywhere else on the internet I should be asking such questions then please let me know.

Also, yes we know part of the whois says New Zealand, however most of the whois in fact says USA, and all IP location databases say USA. None say Japan.

If there is anyone who has a contact with anyone responsible for Office 365 then please reply here. Otherwise, just leave this ticket. Ideally, the Office 365 support team would have an avenue to report issues to their technical team.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:26 AM
  • You did not answer the question about how this relates to something you are developing.

So sure, I can leave this for the moderators; I think I am saying essentially what they would say except with different words. Note that they prefer that questions be answered by volunteers (many moderators are also volunteers) and I am sure that they would prefer that we resolve things among us.

One thing you can do is to explain what you mean by "Office 365 support team"; I think that whoever does proceed with this will want to know the details.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:40 AM