No Builtin\Administrators at all? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed MS SQL Server 2008 R2 (Developer) on MS Windows XP SP3 (upgraded from SP2), isolated computer.

Neither Windows nor MSSQLServer has Builtin\Administrators group.

I added a local user to Windows which is part of a local Administrators group, i.e. local machine administrator on an isolated machine, and it has no access whatsoever to login to MS SQL Server.

Is it correct behavior or a bug?
    What is the sense of an adminsitrator without access to MS SQL Server?
    suppose I add administraor and remove the old one in order to have non-trivial administrator name?

Guennadi Vanine -- Gennady Vanin -- Геннадий Ванин
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Its by design

Look at below technet article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280562.aspx

Thanks,

Nimit

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:48 AM
  • That is normal in 2008 - you no longer get access to the database system just by being an administrator of the machine.  When you performed the install, there was a step to provision users - which would have granted sysadmin access to those users that you provisioned.

At this point, you want to find the local windows groups that were added during the install and add your user account to the one specifically for SQL Server.  It should look something like:

SQLServerMSSQLUser$<server name>$<instance name>

That group will have sysadmin rights to that instance of SQL Server.

Jeff
    "Guennadiy Vanine" wrote in message news:4c576c14-fba9-479a-b023-4e5e09dc505a...

I have installed MS SQL Server 2008 R2 (Developer) on MS Windows XP SP3 (upgraded from SP2), isolated computer.

Neither Windows nor MSSQLServer has Builtin\Administrators group.

I added a local user to Windows which is part of a local Administrators group, i.e. local machine administrator on an isolated machine, and it has no access whatsoever to login to MS SQL Server.

Is it correct behavior or a bug?
    What is the sense of an adminsitrator without access to MS SQL Server?
    suppose I add administraor and remove the old one in order to have non-trivial administrator name?

Guennadi Vanine -- Gennady Vanin -- Геннадий Ванин
    • Proposed as answer by Lekss Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:49 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:51 AM