how are the WSDLs actually versioned? One day notice for an incompatible upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• We just got a notice that the production API is being upgraded to change some names of things such as BudgetAmt to BudgetAmount (but the new help file says MonthlyBudgetAmount !).

The email says this is happening "Friday October 20, 2007".  I assume this is a typo and it means 2006, which is tomorrow.

The email says it is modifying the existing v3 WSDL.  This is contrary to the "Microsoft adCenter API Versioning" section in the help file which says the WSDL is assigned a new version number when incompatible changes are made, to allow for a sane upgrade path.

The email says it is not being done in the sandbox until later.  The versioning section in the help file says upgrades will be done first in the sandbox.

What is the actual policy on upgrades?  Is this upgrade actually backwards compatible?  The email makes no reference to any backwards compatibility being perserved.  One day notice for an incompatible change that goes directly to production isn't acceptable.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:40 PM

Answers

• Apologies for this inconvenience. Let me try to clarify what’s going on.

We had to refresh the WSDL to enable Canada markets (English/French) this weekend, and fix one naming issue that keeps popping up by customers from time to time. Since the breaking changes are so scoped, and applied only to V3 which was released only couple weeks ago, we decided to avoid a new major version (V4). Note that we will keep V2 around until January 2007, as stated in the email and as was previously announced.

Communicating these changes was not done early enough, and was initially inaccurate (and yes, it should have stated 2006, not 2007). That is unacceptable and I will take the blame for that. We must do better next time. Let me assure you that there are no plans to introduce new breaking changes in CY 2006 (more specifically: we only plan to add one argument to CustomerManagement::CustomerSignup method in V3 WSDL, which requires the new SMB Aggregator Role, not used by anyone today).

Again I apologize for the inaccuracies and the very late communication this time around.

We expect to finish this work over the weekend, without any downtime.

We will then figure out when to deploy these changes in the sandbox, and notify you in advance.

Thanks for understanding. 

Shai

Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:19 PM

All replies

• I agree this is a pain for the users of the adCenter API. (I am talking about those that have already switched to the version 3 of WSDLs)

We just upgraded to version 3 of WSDLs and now we have to refresh them everytime Microsoft decides to tweak them them till January of 2007.

We should have remained with version 2 till January...

Friday, October 20, 2006 2:33 AM
  • Apologies for this inconvenience. Let me try to clarify what’s going on.

We had to refresh the WSDL to enable Canada markets (English/French) this weekend, and fix one naming issue that keeps popping up by customers from time to time. Since the breaking changes are so scoped, and applied only to V3 which was released only couple weeks ago, we decided to avoid a new major version (V4). Note that we will keep V2 around until January 2007, as stated in the email and as was previously announced.

Communicating these changes was not done early enough, and was initially inaccurate (and yes, it should have stated 2006, not 2007). That is unacceptable and I will take the blame for that. We must do better next time. Let me assure you that there are no plans to introduce new breaking changes in CY 2006 (more specifically: we only plan to add one argument to CustomerManagement::CustomerSignup method in V3 WSDL, which requires the new SMB Aggregator Role, not used by anyone today).

Again I apologize for the inaccuracies and the very late communication this time around.

We expect to finish this work over the weekend, without any downtime.

We will then figure out when to deploy these changes in the sandbox, and notify you in advance.

Thanks for understanding. 

Shai

Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:19 PM
  • Thanks for the reply and thanks for taking responsibility for this - it was indeed a pain and doubled the amount of work required of us. 

I just wanted to add that releasing the upgrade to production PRIOR to the sandbox is doubly taxing for us and flies in the face of conventional release procedures.  We've written extensive unit tests for our api interaction that use the sandbox and which make it much easier to upgrade versions.  However, all our tests are useless if production is upgraded first  and the sandbox does us no good.

thanks.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 6:47 PM
  • Yes, we're very aware of the sandbox pain. Our goal is to deploy new stuff in the sandbox prior to deploying it in production. We haven't been very successful at achieving that goal so far -- working on this. In this specific case, we plan to upgrade sandbox this Friday, please see my latest post to the dev blog: http://adcenterdev.spaces.live.com/

In general I recommend subscribing to the feed of this blog, in addition to the emails being sent via Connect.

Thanks,

Shai

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:03 AM