locked
WDP00002: missing section system.web/customErrors RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-1140717190 posted

     

     

    Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition on W7 (32bit). New dev machine using an existing project pulled from VSS.

    On a Release build, our webdeploy step for this project uses 3 standalone config files to replace individual sections of the master web.config.  All three standalone config files reside in the same directory.

    The deployment successfully replaces the appSettings and the connectionStrings sections, but is failing when trying to replace the customErrors.

    Here is the relevant Build output:

    Task "ReplaceConfigSections"
    Updating web.config: RootPath =    C:\VisualStudioProjects\BCDM\WebSites\Web_Apps_deploy\Release\, ValidateSections = True, UseExternalConfigSource = False
    Replacing section appSettings with file appSettings.config
    Replacing section connectionStrings with file cnStrings.config
    C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\WebDeployment\v8.0\Microsoft.WebDeployment.targets(513,9): error : web.config(1): error WDP00002: missing section system.web/customErrors.
    Update of web.config Failed.
    Done executing task "ReplaceConfigSections" -- FAILED.
    

    Here is the line from the deploy property page:

     appSettings=appSettings.config;connectionStrings=cnStrings.config;system.web/customErrors=customErrors.config;

    This project builds successfully on my old XP Pro dev machine.

    I'm wondering (I cannot recall as I set the old machine up 3 years ago) if I need to add an assembly to the GAC on the new dev machine? Or am I missing something else?

    Thanks in advance.

     

     

    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:40 PM

Answers

  • User-1140717190 posted

    RESOLVED

    Noticed that on my old XP Pro box, aspnet_merge.exe, Microsoft.WebDeployment.Tasks.dll  were build 04/2006.

     The same files on my W7 box were dated 11/2005.  (Despite using the same install media and Windows Update reporting that my W7 box was up to date).

    Thinking this behavior sure sounded like a bug that probably got fixed in a later release, I made a backup of the files on my W7 box and copied over the newer files from my XP box.

    Restarted VS2005, rebuilt in Release  mode and voila!  Success. 

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:44 PM