Visual Studio 2008 OpenMP support RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition and need to use OpenMP. I can enable OpenMP just fine using a compiler-flag / checking a box under the language options. Where is "omp.h"? After googling for an hour, I've come to suspect that the standard editions don't support OpenMP (why I can still enable the flag in my compiler is another question).
    So, checking the FAQ for this forum, there's a product feature comparison. It doesn't answer my question unfortunately.
    Where can I get the omp.h header file? Is OpenMP supported by Visual Studio 2008 Standard? If not, why is the option there to enable/disable it?
    Friday, March 13, 2009 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Mld2,

Yes, you're right. OpenMP is not supported by Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition. You should upgrade to Visual Studio Professional and above that supports OpenMP.
    Here is someone who had similar issue as you, see: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/a8a0b9eb-c26c-4fae-b0bd-3d979919d58e

Since Visual Studio Standard Edition and above use the similar compiler environment, you can enable/disable the option. It is related to IDE but not the library.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by mld2 Monday, March 16, 2009 11:05 AM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Mld2,

Yes, you're right. OpenMP is not supported by Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition. You should upgrade to Visual Studio Professional and above that supports OpenMP.
    Here is someone who had similar issue as you, see: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/a8a0b9eb-c26c-4fae-b0bd-3d979919d58e

Since Visual Studio Standard Edition and above use the similar compiler environment, you can enable/disable the option. It is related to IDE but not the library.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by mld2 Monday, March 16, 2009 11:05 AM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I needed OpenMP to evaluate Intel's IPP, so I now evaluate their compiler as well since it integrates with the Visual Studio IDE.
    • Edited by mld2 Monday, March 16, 2009 11:08 AM Spelling
    Monday, March 16, 2009 11:06 AM