Popup randomly displays with a copy above usually clipped. RRS feed

• Question

• I have numerous popups in my Windows store app. Randomly, when a popup displays it has a second version, above the first that displays along with it. In this example, the bottom bit of the popup is displayed. It mirrors the behavior of the properly positioned one, dismissing at the same time and in the same way.

This started happening when I upgraded the app to 8.1. It is unpredictable and annoying. Does anyone know what is causing this? Is there some change to popups in 8.1 that I need to make?

Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:00 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

I don't see anything obviously wrong in your sample Xaml, but without code behind I can't run it to test. If your PC and your Surface have different types of video cards then you're right that it's less likely to be a driver issue.

If you would like to work directly with somebody you can open a case at http://aka.ms/storesupport and choose "Building apps".

--Rob

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:40 PM

All replies

• Not enough information to say for sure, but a single popup rendering in multiple places smells like a video driver issue.

Does this occur on multiple systems with different drivers? Does it happen with only your app? Can you reproduce in a minimal app that you can share?

--Rob

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:37 AM
  • It happens on both my PC and on my Surface 2 so I think it is unlikely to be a driver issue. I have only seen it on my app so I assume I am doing something incorrectly with the Popup control. It started when I converted my app to 8.1. It happens randomly with any one of a dozen flyouts in my app. Here is a sample of the way I use my Popups:

<Grid x:Name="TipGrid" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Top" Grid.Row="1" >

<Popup x:Name="TipPopup" 

IsLightDismissEnabled="True"

IsOpen="{Binding Path=TipPopupOpen, Mode=TwoWay}"

HorizontalOffset="{Binding Path=TipHorizontalOffset, Mode=OneWay}" >

<Popup.ChildTransitions>

<TransitionCollection>

<PaneThemeTransition />

</TransitionCollection>

</Popup.ChildTransitions>

<Border BorderBrush="White" BorderThickness="3" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Center" Width="500">

<StackPanel Orientation="Vertical" Background="{StaticResource GreyBackgroundBrush}" >

<TextBlock Text="{Binding Tip}" TextWrapping="Wrap" FontSize="20"  Margin="10"/>

<Grid>

<Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<ColumnDefinition Width="50*"/>

<ColumnDefinition Width="50*"/>

</Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<CheckBox  Content="Don't Show Tips" Margin="20,10,10,10" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Center" Grid.Column="0"

IsChecked="{Binding ConfigSettings.TipsEnabled, Mode=TwoWay, Converter={StaticResource BoolNegationConverter}}"

b:ItemCheckedCommandBehavior.Command="{Binding DisableTipsCommand}"

/>

<Button MinWidth="150" Content="Next Tip" HorizontalAlignment="Right" VerticalAlignment="Center" Grid.Column="1" Command="{Binding ShowNextTipCommand}" Margin="0,0,20,10" />

</Grid>

</StackPanel>

</Border>

</Popup>

</Grid>

This is a significant issue with me publishing my app, so I would like to understand how I can get the necessary support to have someone work directly with me to troubleshoot the problem (even if it is a charged service).

Thanks

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:05 AM
  • Hi John,

I don't see anything obviously wrong in your sample Xaml, but without code behind I can't run it to test. If your PC and your Surface have different types of video cards then you're right that it's less likely to be a driver issue.

If you would like to work directly with somebody you can open a case at http://aka.ms/storesupport and choose "Building apps".

--Rob

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:40 PM