WinRM load CPU 100% RRS feed

• Question

• I have 9 Domain Controllers 2012 (not R2) and one DC 2008R2 in one Domain. Damain has 5 sites. There are some trusted domains. All DCs are VirtualMachines on VmWare. Damain and Forest tevel - 2008R2. 

All 2012 DCs have the same problem. WinRM load CPU on 100% and DC doesn't answer on requests, ping works, RDP try connecting but can't sign-in. The problem appear randomly (not simultaneously) on all DCs. DC 2008R2 works good.

I dasabled WinRM on all DCs and users can works but I need WinRM.

Thanks!

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Here is an article below about how to troubleshoot high CPU usage on a Domain Controller:

Troubleshooting High CPU Usage on a Domain Controller

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727054.aspx

If there are many client computers connecting to the DC when the issue occurs, please apply this hotfix below:

High CPU usage on a Windows Server 2012-based server when many client computers connect to the server

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2830448

In addition, here is a thread below which has a similar issue, please follow Elad’s reply to see if it works for you:

SVCHOST - DNS Client High CPU Utilization

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d2a2ad2d-a406-410c-9b7a-e22104fd2e2e/svchost-dns-client-high-cpu-utilization?forum=itprovistanetworking

Best Regards,

Amy

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:01 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:42 AM
  • We have exactly the same issue (WinRM load CPU on 100% and DC doesn't answer anymore) on all our Win2012R2 Domain Controllers.

Latest rollup updates did not solve the issue.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Friday, November 28, 2014 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

Please inform us.

Thanks

Saturday, November 29, 2014 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

Please inform us.

Thanks

We have a Microsoft support incident 114112012068721 open.

If we have useful info to share I let you know.

Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Thanks again,

Enis

Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:09 PM
  • The culprit is found and issue solved !

Resolution: create Domain Local security group "WinRMRemoteWMIUsers__" in your AD.

After creating the group setting up a WinRM connection to your DC or adding the DC in Server Manager on your remote mgmt server, it will just take a few seconds instead of minutes without a significant CPU increase of 100% on the DC.

More info:

During setup, WinRM creates the local group WinRMRemoteWMIUsers__

WinRM then restricts remote access to any user that is not a member of either the local administration group or the WinRMRemoteWMIUsers__ group.

WinRM was installed on a member server and the local group created - then the server was promoted and the local group was lost as it became a DC.

Which will then cause the delay and 100% CPU because it fails to find it in the local domain and proceeds to try all the trusted domains.

Thanks to SteveP & MarcS

• Proposed as answer by TontonLud Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:14 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 11:46 PM
  • Thank you very much, D4NP4N, that did it for me!!

Just added the Group "WinRMRemoteWMIUsers__" just somewhere in the domain and killed the svchost-Process, that hosted the WinRM. Then restarted WinRM with no issue anymore.

You safed my life :D

Monday, August 10, 2015 1:00 PM
  • Thanks, I had the same issue on DC on AWS cloud services.

It solved my issue too

Monday, June 13, 2016 5:12 PM