none
Item level Edit permissions overwritten by List Settings

Question

• Hi,

With the list setting: Create items and edit items that were created by the user, it is not possible to let another user to update the item even we give to him Full Control to the item.

With the list setting: Create and edit all items, the creator can edit all his items except we give to him Read access to the item.

This has been tested in 2010 and 2013 on Premise

Can you confirm this behaviour?

Best regards,

• Edited by Xtof Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:33 AM See my reply here under
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:26 PM

Answers

• The list setting "Create items and edit items that were created by the user" completely bypasses the regular security settings on items in the list.  If you want to let more than one regular user edit an item you need to leave that setting on "Create and edit all items" and then manage the permissions on each item individually.  There is no other way. 

I'm not sure you will be able to remove the ability to edit an item from the creator of the item no matter what you use in terms of settings and permissions.  For the scenario where a user is supposed to be able to create but not edit I normally create a workflow that copies the item from one list (where it was created) to another list where the user who created it doesn't have edit permissions.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by croute1 Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xtof Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:33 PM

All replies

• The list setting "Create items and edit items that were created by the user" completely bypasses the regular security settings on items in the list.  If you want to let more than one regular user edit an item you need to leave that setting on "Create and edit all items" and then manage the permissions on each item individually.  There is no other way. 

I'm not sure you will be able to remove the ability to edit an item from the creator of the item no matter what you use in terms of settings and permissions.  For the scenario where a user is supposed to be able to create but not edit I normally create a workflow that copies the item from one list (where it was created) to another list where the user who created it doesn't have edit permissions.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by croute1 Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xtof Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

Do you want that creator can create items but can’t edit his items?

You can create a designer workflow to edit item level permissions and set this workflow started when a new item is created.

How to change item level permission via designer workflow (2010 platform) for your reference:

http://spcycle.blogspot.sg/2012/01/how-to-create-workflow-to-change-item.html

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:12 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update?
    If my reply is helpful to you, you can mark as answer.
    Thanks,
    Dean Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 27, 2017 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

It is SP 2013. This functionality has been removed in SharePoint Designer.

Best regards,

Christophe

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

After further testing, it appears that the creator cannot edit his items after changing the list setting (We have an event receiver to update the item permissions). I have updated the initial post accordingly.

Christophe

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

You can create a 2010 platform designer workflow in SharePoint 2013, which can achieve your requirement.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:11 AM