none
Missing "Add from file" & "Add From Url" options in Outlook: Manage Add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing an Outlook Add-in and would like to test it in Outlook.  I am trying to add the add-in using:

File > Manage Add-ins

According to your documentation, there should be an "Add from file" or "Add From Url" option but all I have is "Add From Office Store". 

I also remember seeing the options before but now they are gone. How can I make these options show up?

Thanks!

• Edited by Jason Rom Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:21 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

Base on your reply, the Add From Url and Add from file options are in the Exchange Admin Center. So the issue is related to Exchange.

Base on that article:

If you do not have at minimum the "My Custom add-ins" role for your Exchange Server, then you can install add-ins only from the Office Store. In order to test your add-in, or install add-ins in general by specifying a URL or file name for the add-in manifest, you should request your Exchange administrator to provide the necessary permissions.

So I think the reason is that you don’t have the enough permission.

On the other hand, the Exchange forum is the better place for the issue related to Exchange.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 4, 2015 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hello Jason,

What add-ins are you talking about?

Do you develop a COM add-in or Mail App? If you are talking about Mail Apps take a look at the following pages:

Create and debug Office Add-ins in Visual Studio

Get Started with Outlook add-ins for Office 365

See Selecting an API or technology for developing solutions for Outlook 2013 for more information about possible solutions. 

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:04 AM
  • Mail App. 

Yes, I saw these pages before, thanks. But I'm already at the point of deploying/installing the app in Outlook. 

This resource told me that there should be other options to install the add in besides "Add From Office Store"

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp142256.aspx

But from the Manage Add-ins interface all I have is the "Add From Office Store" option.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Base on your reply, the Add From Url and Add from file options are in the Exchange Admin Center. So the issue is related to Exchange.

Base on that article:

If you do not have at minimum the "My Custom add-ins" role for your Exchange Server, then you can install add-ins only from the Office Store. In order to test your add-in, or install add-ins in general by specifying a URL or file name for the add-in manifest, you should request your Exchange administrator to provide the necessary permissions.

So I think the reason is that you don’t have the enough permission.

On the other hand, the Exchange forum is the better place for the issue related to Exchange.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 4, 2015 8:33 AM