Office Licensing on Sharepoint Server Running WSS 3.0 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WSS 3.0 SP2 and uploaded a Word Document.  When I go to edit the document, it says I need a Sharepoint Services Compatible Application.  From researching the issue, I understand that I need to install Word on the Sharepoint server.  All fine.  Will probably install Word, Excel, Powerpoint.

If several users in our company are going to be accessing this Sharepoint server and editing documents and files, do I need to buy licenses for these products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) for EACH user or is it legally o.k. to purchase and install one licensed version of the products?

Thank you.

Roger

Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:29 PM

Answers

• Roger --

Yes, I'd say that if you have Office installed on the client computer and are opening a document to edit it from a remote SharePoint server, you should not have any issues doing that 99% of the time. If you have Office installed on the client and still get the error, more often than not its an issue with the config of the client computer and not the server (the client/server relationship and dichotomy is one of the many reasons why troubleshooting SharePoint issues is SO much fun ;) ).

Personally, I wouldn't put Office on the server unless you have a specific requirement that makes it a prereq, but that's more b/c I prefer to keep things as simple and minimal as possible on the servers I touch, rather than out of fear from any potential issues or conflicts. It shouldn't cause you any problems to put it on the server.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:06 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:17 PM

All replies

• Roger --

I think you may be misunderstanding the guidance available on your issue (I did a quick search and found this article, is this one you were looking at? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833714), this is typically an issue with the client computer you are using to access the SharePoint server with, not the SharePoint server itself.

The Edit Document option in a SharePoint document library is set up to look on your computer for a local version of the MS Office product associated with the file (ex: Microsoft Word for .DOC or .DOCX files) and open the document for editing in that target application on your local computer. Unless I'm misunderstanding your situation, I do not think you need Office installed on the SharePoint server to make that work, this is most likely a problem with your local computer.

Now, if you don't have Microsoft Office installed on your computer (or the computers of your other users), this definitely is the problem and you're going to have to tackle that side of the licensing equation like you would for any other end user scenario. You won't be able to edit those documents in a server-side scenario with SharePoint's 2007 release, you'll need the Office Web Applications functionality in SharePoint 2010 Enterprise or Office 365 to edit Office documents without a client application.

If you do have Office installed locally, I'd first suggest looking at the other troubleshooting tips in that KB above. If that doesn't work, please provife some more info on your setup and issue and we'll see what we can do to help you.

(as an aside, there have been other issues I've seen with SharePoint 2007 that can be resolved by installing Office on the SharePoint server, and I think the cost for that was just a single license of Office, rather than paying per user)

John

My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Thank you John,

Yes, I think I misunderstood.  If I want to test editing a Word document on the Sharepoint server itself where I am logged into, I would need the corresponding Word program installed on the Sharepoint server since that is what I am logged into.

If I understand correctly, if I access the Sharepoint site from my own computer which already has Word, then I should be o.k.?  That sound correct?  In any event, as you state, it might not hurt to have Office on the Sharepoint server as a remedy to other potential issues.

Thank you.

Roger

Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Roger --

Yes, I'd say that if you have Office installed on the client computer and are opening a document to edit it from a remote SharePoint server, you should not have any issues doing that 99% of the time. If you have Office installed on the client and still get the error, more often than not its an issue with the config of the client computer and not the server (the client/server relationship and dichotomy is one of the many reasons why troubleshooting SharePoint issues is SO much fun ;) ).

Personally, I wouldn't put Office on the server unless you have a specific requirement that makes it a prereq, but that's more b/c I prefer to keep things as simple and minimal as possible on the servers I touch, rather than out of fear from any potential issues or conflicts. It shouldn't cause you any problems to put it on the server.

John

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:06 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:17 PM