none
Can existing apps be migrated to universal 8.1 apps?

Question

• I have several apps, and some of those currently have (separate) Windows Phone and Windows 8 versions.

What are our options for the new universal app model announced at Build 2014?

I would ideally like to combine my existing apps into a universal app and retain the in-app and/or purchased status (e.g. someone who owns the phone version automatically would now own the Windows 8.1 version too).

Can this be done with existing apps, or will a new app have to be created separate from the existing ones?

Can an existing app on the store be 'converted' to a universal app by adding an additional package? If so does it work both ways, effectively giving a way to link an existing phone app and an existing Windows 8.1 app into a single app (with multiple platform packages)?

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am also very interested in this question.  My situation is far less complex. I have a Windows Store app that I want to "make into a universal app" and offer it on Windows Phone 8.1 as well. But I can't seem to find a way to associate the new WP81 project with the existing Windows Store app.
    Friday, April 11, 2014 8:27 PM
  • I emailed the person at Microsoft who did a Build talk about the store updates. He confirmed that existing apps can be linked, which is excellent news.

From what he said it seems that you will be able to simply assign some kind of ID to your apps, and any apps that have the same ID will be 'linked'. I guess we'll get more specific details in due time.

This is great because I have several apps currently split into two separate apps, and I'm working on a game that I can release separately now, and link later once the store allows universal app submissions.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:58 AM
  • Here is what I was told:

"Your Windows app should have a PFN associated with it. Associated your Windows Phone app with the same PFN and your apps are linked!"

I'm not sure what PFN is exactly, but it sounds like you do the linking in the store/dev center, not in Visual Studio. And I imagine this is not currently possible until the stores are updated.

Monday, April 14, 2014 3:02 AM
  • @pumkinszwan - You're right on noob -  they show you step by step how to do it here  Don't know what the PFN is, though.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:08 PM
  • You just create a new release and can choose to link by selecting an existing app from a drop-down. I've linked a few already, though I'm having another issue, which I've posted about in another thread.

In a nutshell I have linked my apps but they do not show as linked in the store(s).

Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:35 AM
  • FWIW: Mine didn't show as linked right away, but after a week or so, they are now linked and the WP version has the special logo. Just follow the instructions as you are publishing and it should all just work.
    Friday, April 25, 2014 3:41 PM