none
Recompiled VS 2010 Outlook 2010 Add-In Does Not Refresh in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a VB.NET add-in for Outlook 2010 and successfully deployed to my development computer as well as some clients. I had to make some adjustments to the doe after deployment to address one or two issues but after I recompiled the component and re-ran the new Install (used VS generated Setup.exe) the Add-in has not changed. It seems like it's not clearing out the old add-in even though I did an uninstall from control panel-->add-remove programs. After I run the uninstall the add-in is removed from the Outlook ribbon completely. But when I run the new setup.exe, the ribbon is repopulated with the old add-in. This is happening on both the client and development machines. Is there a cache I need to clear? Or is there a setting I need to apply to the new setup.exe/add-in. Thanks, Greg
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:14 PM

Answers

• I believe I figured out what the issue might have been, although it still doesn't make sense.

I was re-building the project and the setup.exe and then un-installing the add-in though the add-remove-programs. Then I would run the new setup.exe, but nothing would change.

However, one of co-wokers told me to also "publish" the component using VS. Once I did that, and then used the "published' setup.exe, the add-in was sucessfully updated.

Not sure why I can't just use the re-built setup.exe? Like a legacy, non-.NET component? Why won't the client "forget" the old add-in unless I re-publish the add-in.

Greg

Greg friedman

• Marked as answer by Greg Friedman Friday, November 16, 2012 4:52 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:25 PM

All replies

• can you verify that your 'new' add-in is actually loaded? how do you populate ribbon with your controls?
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Did you change the version of your addin assembly when you made your changes, and also change the version in your setup project to match?

Did you set the installer to detect newer versions and remove any existing code as part of the installation of the new code?

Did you change the ProductCode GUID while keeping the same UpgradeCode GUID?

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Greg Friedman" <=?utf-8?B?R3JlZyBGcmllZG1hbg==?=> wrote in message news:4c283f91-debd-46a0-ab11-6745039948d4...
    I have created a VB.NET add-in for Outlook 2010 and successfully deployed to my development computer as well as some clients. I had to make some adjustments to the doe after deployment to address one or two issues but after I recompiled the component and re-ran the new Install (used VS generated Setup.exe) the Add-in has not changed. It seems like it's not clearing out the old add-in even though I did an uninstall from control panel-->add-remove programs. After I run the uninstall the add-in is removed from the Outlook ribbon completely. But when I run the new setup.exe, the ribbon is repopulated with the old add-in. This is happening on both the client and development machines. Is there a cache I need to clear? Or is there a setting I need to apply to the new setup.exe/add-in. Thanks, Greg

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:19 PM
  • I believe I figured out what the issue might have been, although it still doesn't make sense.

I was re-building the project and the setup.exe and then un-installing the add-in though the add-remove-programs. Then I would run the new setup.exe, but nothing would change.

However, one of co-wokers told me to also "publish" the component using VS. Once I did that, and then used the "published' setup.exe, the add-in was sucessfully updated.

Not sure why I can't just use the re-built setup.exe? Like a legacy, non-.NET component? Why won't the client "forget" the old add-in unless I re-publish the add-in.

Greg

Greg friedman

• Marked as answer by Greg Friedman Friday, November 16, 2012 4:52 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Are you talking about publishing using a ClickOnce installation? That's completely different and incompatible with a setup.exe/MSI type installation. You can't mix both types, you use just one or the other.

I almost never use ClickOnce, because it requires only certain versions of Office and has other limitations. Almost all of my setups use a setup.exe/MSI and if you follow the rules for those updating always works correctly.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Greg Friedman" <=?utf-8?B?R3JlZyBGcmllZG1hbg==?=> wrote in message news:353f836e-a8fd-4783-8bfa-1f7ef1b3d284...

I believe I figured out what the issue might have been, although it still doesn't make sense.

Greg

Greg friedman

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:45 PM
  • ok, obviously I need to do some more reading on how to properly deploy a VS 2010 developed application. I never designated the application as a "click once" component/project, but it seems to work better then the alternative.

Thanks all for your input.

Greg

Greg friedman

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:52 PM