none
return the scheduled start date from one task to a custom field for all tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am trying populate an entire custom task date field with the scheduled start date of one of the tasks. I thought the easiest way would be to:

1) identify the date I need with a custom task flag field set to 'yes'

2) create a formula to look for the 'yes' flag in that field and populate the custom task date field with it.

This worked only for the task where the flag was set to yes (task #36) and the rest of the 49 tasks returned an error message. I'm unsure of how to set this up so that the date with the 'yes' flag populates in this column on all 50 tasks.

This would also need to scale for situations where there were more or less than 50 tasks.

Thanks in advance...

Using MSP 2010 Pro   

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

what does your formula look like? What type of field are you using? Take care that you provide a valid value in case of task flag = "no".

If you use a text field, something like IIf([Flag1]=True,[Scheduled Start],"") should work.

If you provide your formula, we should be able to get better advice.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:50 PM
  • ShelleyBrodie,

Sorry but you will not be able to do what you want with a formula in a custom field. There are two ways to do it. One is to use VBA but the easiest is to copy the desired start date to the Date1 field and then display the Project Summary task. Go to Project/Properties group/Custom fields and set the option to rollup calculation of task and summary groups (note, you do not need or want to customize the Date1 field with a formula). That should populate the Date1 value for the Project Summary task. Now do a fill down to populate Date1 for all other tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:51 PM
  • The following formula I've come up with returns the incorrect date when the flag is set to 'No'.

IIF(([Flag1]=Yes,[Scheduled Start]),[Flag1]=Yes,[Scheduled Start])

Thursday, November 13, 2014 5:20 PM
  • ShelleyBrodie,

That's because the syntax of your formula isn't quite what you intend. The correct syntax is:

IIf( expression, truepart, falsepart )

For your case that converts to:

IIf([Flag1],[Scheduled Start],{not sure what you want for the false part but I assume is is not Scheduled Start})

Note, the "Yes" for Flag1 is implied, so the first part (i.e. Scheduled Start) is the truepart, but you don't give a value for the falsepart (i.e in both cases your formula is looking for Flag1 to be "yes". Let's say you want the Date1 field to have the Scheduled Start date if Flag1 is "yes" and to have today's date if Flag1 is "no". Then the formula will be:

IIf([Flag1],[Scheduled Start],[Current Date])

However, As I indicated in my previous response, you won't be able to do what you described in your initial post by using a formula. Are you now trying to do something different?

John

Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:12 PM