No DocumentProperties for docx but for xps (for the same file)

Question

• How strange is that? DocumentProperties can be read from XPS files but not from docx despite that they are both the same file-format.

I know this has to do with the COM ShellExtension that performs the extraction at the system level. WinRT seems to use the same backend for that. However I wonder why the extensions still operate on the fragile filename when the filecontent should be the source of such informations.

To reproduce this strange behaviour (in Explorer) follow these steps:

1. Take a XPS document and open its properties sheet and see the Detail page. It should list the meta informations of that document like Author and Title
    2. Rename this document to docx. Its still openable, but the properties sheet displays different details. Just generic details this time.

This makes it extremely difficult to treat XPS/docx the same (property-wise) inside my app. I know have to go and extract the properties from docx myself using Decompressor and XMLReader. Hope this works, but it renders the DocumentProperties quite useless for anything but XPS files.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:09 PM

Answers

• Correct, this is not a Metro style app question but really a question based on the OS decision to use the Shell Extensions and their providers.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• Correct, this is not a Metro style app question but really a question based on the OS decision to use the Shell Extensions and their providers.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Could you please move the question to the shell namespace forum?
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 2:06 PM