child documentation

Question

• Older versions of the class hierarchy documentation included both base classes and descendants. This version only shows the base. I really, really miss being able to inspect the children. Among other things, it was really useful for building a mental model of how the class hierarchy works (which we're all doing right now). For example, which UI layout widgets descend from the Panel, as opposed to directly from FrameworkElement? That's useful to know, because Panel provides a lot of core funtionality.

The object browser is obviously pulling the same metadata, so the info isn't there either, and class diagrams aren't included in the consumer preview, namespaces tell you nothing about inheritance, so the only way to figure this stuff out is by making guesses and poking around the class library documentation. I'd like those hours of my life back, please....       

Rebecca M. Riordan

Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Rebecca,

thanks for the excellent feedback.  I have created a content request to MSDN product group to add child inheritance/descendants for metro classes/controls.  I have used your panel example versus the .NET Framework version.  Hopefully, we can get that in there soon. I will let you know the status of the request.

much appreciated,

Mike Wong

Microsoft Developer Support

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Rebecca,

thanks for the excellent feedback.  I have created a content request to MSDN product group to add child inheritance/descendants for metro classes/controls.  I have used your panel example versus the .NET Framework version.  Hopefully, we can get that in there soon. I will let you know the status of the request.

much appreciated,

Mike Wong

Microsoft Developer Support

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Thanks!

If it's useful, a more compelling example might be ISemanticZoomInfo. Without being able to search for elements that implement that interface, the only way to determine which elements can be the direct children of a SemanticZoom control is to stick them in there and see if they work...I'd rather clean the oven, I think :)

Rebecca M. Riordan

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:27 PM