none
Printing PDF to XPS cannot copy text RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Can anyone shed me light on why print a PDF (the PDF contains only Chinese characters) file to XPS that the resulting document the text is not able to copy. It happens only when the PDF contain Chinese characters on it. It seems printing a PDF (contains english text and number) are all copying ok.

Is it possible to make the printing of PDF (chinese document) to XPS and the output of XPS is able to copy-and-paste the text to notepad? Pleae advise. Thanks a lot.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

I am from Word.

I did some additional testing on this from both Word and WordPad.

I tried using the wingding font in Word and in WordPad.

I then printed to PDF from both applications.

From the PDF file, I then printed to XPS.

I see the issue from both applications.

I can submit a report on it so it is documented, but the issue is not specific to Office or to the Chinese font. I also tried Greek and saw the same issue. I do not see a way to get the text selected.

Regards, Risa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

XPS document doesn't support copy text.  May I know why you want to print it to XPS?  because if you want to copy text, the PDF will allow you to do.

with regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Dear Forrest,

Yes, we can copy text from XPS file. The reason why I want to get the "text" from XPS file is that I want to get the contents of a document while it is printing to a XPS Printer Driver. I have found that when I try to print a English PDF document to XPS Printer driver it is OK to get all the English text, but I get garbage characters when I print the Chinese PDF to XPS Printer driver. Just wondering what configuration should I set to make the Chinese text coming out from XPS file.

Michael.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Michael,

I think I gave the incorrect conclusion "XPS document doesn't support copy text".  Now I can reproduce what you said. However, I could not explain the reason.

I'll consult this issue internally, please wait some time.

with regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Michael,

This question should be posted on the Word forum, not the developers forums. Please repost your question at
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office?auth=1

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help and unmark them if the provide no help. and click "Vote as Helpful" this and other helpful posts, so other users will see your thread as useful. Chris Jensen

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I am from Word.

I did some additional testing on this from both Word and WordPad.

I tried using the wingding font in Word and in WordPad.

I then printed to PDF from both applications.

From the PDF file, I then printed to XPS.

I see the issue from both applications.

I can submit a report on it so it is documented, but the issue is not specific to Office or to the Chinese font. I also tried Greek and saw the same issue. I do not see a way to get the text selected.

Regards, Risa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:32 PM