Expression vs Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Not clear on when I would need Visual Studio and/or Expression.  I currently use Visual Studio 2005 to create web services and asp.net web sites.  I use Adboe Flex and Flash to add animation and other RIA apps.  If I wanted to create animation and applications using Silverlight, would I need both Expression and Visual Studio?  Basically, would I need to purchase Expression to get the full capabilities of Silverlight?
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hello.

I really think that you can do most things with VS. Expressions are more "designer" tools than programming tools and they might speed up the process of generating XAML for your animations. Are they paid? I'm not seeing anything on the web site regarding blend and design...

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hello.

I really think that you can do most things with VS. Expressions are more "designer" tools than programming tools and they might speed up the process of generating XAML for your animations. Are they paid? I'm not seeing anything on the web site regarding blend and design...

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  My point is that Flash, while based on design and animation, allowed for functionality that mirrored what you could do in asp.net, such as datagrids, text boxes, labels, etc.  I wanted to know if I purchased Silverlight, what else I needed to use all of its functionality.  Since I already have Visual Studio, I was hoping not to need to purchase Expression along with SilverLight.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

these are all valid questions, i like an answer from MS as well.

It's also not clear for me how to develop on Mac, if there is no IDE on Mac and no Visual Studio for Javascript on Windows.
    If i understand it correctly: When you use anything other than Javascript (C# or VB.NET) than you are automatically bound to windows.

best regards
    Thomas
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:29 AM
  • From my understanding Expression (4 different applications) are aimed at designers.  Depending on the type of designer you are you may need 1 or all 4 of the applications (http://www.microsoft.com/expression/default.aspx). The applications, i believe, arn't free. 

VS.NET2005 is aimed at developers.

Now... i got the MSDN universal license (4K+/yr) It gives me alot of things for development use (free) which includes the expression products and vs.net 2005. Also gives me office and the OS's.

Quite a good deal if you can afford it!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:57 PM
  • Hello, everyone.

I know that for create SilverlLight apps it needs Visual Studio and Expression. But I want to know something.

Will it possible to develop SilverLight apps in Visual Studio Express Editions?

Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:48 PM
  • hello guys.

though i may be wrong, i really think that vs lets you the same things that the expression tools, ie, in my opinion you should be able to do everything with VS (i mean, writing the XAML portion of the app).

Another thing I'm expecting in the next releases of silverlight is control support, ie, i'm convinced that the next releases will have controls out-of the box (at least, i'm expecting that the common controls already available in WPF to be there)

Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Hello guys.

LiquidBoy: after reading your post, I've went to the MSDN subscriptions page. I don't see the expression tools there (ok, there's web expression, but that is not important for WPF/E development). are you sure about the licensing? (ie, is it included in MSDN?)

thanks.

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:14 AM
  • Just to be clear to everybody, or those who might be browsing this thread: Neither Visual Studio nor Expression are "required" to work with Silverlight. Frankly, you can do it all with a text editor.

So for those developing or wishing to develop on a MAC, go for it!! and don't think that because there's no MAC versions  VS or Expression that your out of luck.

See you at Mix

Kevgor

Friday, April 20, 2007 1:43 PM
  • Hello Kevin.

I agree with you, though I really think that doing it without some sort of intellisense is not something you want to do after building a simple sample.

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:12 PM
  • I have yet to use anything other than Visual Slick Edit.

The Javascript bits I get intellisense on through VSE, and while VSE doesn't know what XAML is, it treats it like XML, so it provides some level of assistance.

I just build in pieces and cut-and-paste from what I've done before Smile

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:34 PM