none
Lync clients vs MS-OCDISCWS RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We are developing a small Lync Autodiscover server with the intended purpose of redirecting client queries to one of several Lync servers in different subdomains.  We are implementing the portions of MS-OCDISCWS necessary to support this function.  However, are surprised to find that Microsoft's own Lync clients exhibit behavior that is contrary to MS-OCDISCWS.

Lync 2013 on Android is not sending the sipuri parameter in the query string.

Lync 2013 on Windows is sending the sipuri parameter, but is not incuding "sip" as part of the URI. For example, trying to discover for user@domain.com, the application should be sending

?sipuri=sip:user@domain.com

It actually sends

?sipuri=user@domain.com

This is contrary to the examples and the standard described in RFC3261 as mentioned in section 2.2.3.1 of MS-OCDISCWS.  It would be very difficult to validate queries against a specification when the first-party clients do not themselves conform.

Please advise. Is MS-OCDISCWS accurate?  Are the clients themselves out of spec?  If so, how and where should I file bugs against the clients?

(We have not yet tested Lync for Mac OS X or iOS.)

Thank you,

Andrew

Andrew Laurence

• Edited by atlauren Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:20 AM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Andrew,

My post on Wednesday, September 03, 2014 is the result of the discussion with the product and the documentation groups. The absence of the “sip:” part in the sipuri parameter is not treated as bug in Lync 2013, but as a documentation problem in [MS-OCDISCWS].

Sorry, I don’t have the environment to test Lync 2013 for Android.

Thanks, Vilmos
    Friday, September 12, 2014 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting us.  A colleague will contact you soon to investigate this issue.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Just checking, is an investigation underway?  I haven't seen a reply on this thread aside from your own.

-Andrew

Andrew Laurence

Friday, August 15, 2014 1:03 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am going to research your question and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:43 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thank you for bringing to our attention a Windows Lync problem. Please make a capture of the request and provide additional information about the OS and Lync; you could send this to ‘dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com’ and indicate that it is for me and I’ll file a bug report.

Thanks, Vilmos

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:19 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

A Lync 2013 capture confirmed your observation, Lync 2013 does not send the “sip:” part in the sipuri parameter. I submitted a suggestion that this behavior should be documented in [MS-OCDISCWS] and, consequently, the example in section “4.1 Discover Home Server” should be corrected.

Thanks, Vilmos
    • Proposed as answer by Vilmos Foltenyi Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vilmos Foltenyi Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by atlauren Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:27 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Hi Vilmos,

Apologies for the silence, I was on vacation.

Thank you for confirming Lync 2013 for Windows. Can you also file a bug against Lync 2013?

Were you able to validate this on Lync 2013 for Android?

-Andrew

Andrew Laurence

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

My post on Wednesday, September 03, 2014 is the result of the discussion with the product and the documentation groups. The absence of the “sip:” part in the sipuri parameter is not treated as bug in Lync 2013, but as a documentation problem in [MS-OCDISCWS].

Sorry, I don’t have the environment to test Lync 2013 for Android.

Thanks, Vilmos
    Friday, September 12, 2014 10:23 PM