none
Does anyone care about Access? Really? RRS feed

• General discussion

• As far as developers are concerned, which includes us, Access doesn’t show up as 3% of 29,000 responses. Databases, about 3/8 the way down the page, amongst a bunch of other interesting info.

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dev-survey-2017&utm_content=em-features&utm_source=so-owned

It seems reasonable that MS would not place great emphasis on development for such a sliver of the market...

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

Sunday, March 26, 2017 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Did you take the survey? I wonder if you're allowed to select all your development platforms or had to pick just one. I know most Access developers also develop not only with Access but also SQL Server or MySQL, etc. Perhaps, they had to pick just one for the survey.

Just my 2 cents...

Sunday, March 26, 2017 1:49 AM
  • I think Access is as popular as ever.

We see recent additions to Access such as “bigint” for sql server. Support for SQL (Azure) – especially with web publishing. We even getting a CTR version of the runtime. And there is a few other features in the pipeline (I’m too busy to check if they are currently NDA or not)

And for Access 2010 we received an x64 bit version of Access (and  that includes a new version of VBA 7 - which includes x64 bit support). So  support for the x64 windows API was added and even an x64 bit version of the data engine.

In fact, based on database ranking, Access is the only desktop database that makes the top 10 worldwide.

And Access is just not a database, but a development system. To be fair, the above market share was based on keyword and search engines - but for a desktop system like Access to make the top 10 in the above list is BEYOND amazing IMHO.

And judging by the number of questions and activity on this board? I would say that from both Microsoft and the Access community – things are rather alive and well.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sunday, March 26, 2017 4:16 AM