The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. (System.Web.Services) RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a project using SSDT for Visual Studio 2013 and sharepoint list data is used in SSRS reports. SSRS reports and data connection are deployed on sharepoint 2013. It was working perfectly fine untill my system OS ran into problem and I had to install windows 8.1 and SSDT again. Now I can deploy reports and dataSource and they works fine explorer as well but  When i click on report preview in visual studio.  It says

"An error occurred during local report processing. An error has occurred during report processing"

When I open any dataset of report and press "QueryDesigner" or "RefreshFields" button Following error display.

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio
    ------------------------------

An error occurred when accessing the specified SharePoint list. The connection string might not be valid. Verify that the connection string is correct. 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. (System.Web.Services)

And Technical details of this error says

An error occurred when accessing the specified SharePoint list. The connection string might not be valid. Verify that the connection string is correct.  (Microsoft Visual Studio)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SharePointList.SPRemoteConnection.ExecuteServiceRequest(ServiceRequest request)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SharePointList.SPRemoteConnection.GetLists()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.SharePoint.SharePointTables.Refresh()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.Relational.QueryBuilderSerialization.FromString(Database db, XmlElement designerStateXml)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.SharePoint.SharePointQueryBuilder.CreateSharePointQueryBuilder(SharePointDatabase database, String commandText, XmlElement designerStateXml)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.SharePoint.QueryDesigner.Presenter.LoadDatabaseAndQuery()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.SharePoint.QueryDesigner.Presenter.ValidateConnection()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.SharePoint.SharePointQueryDesigner.InitializeQueryDesigner()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.InternalQueryDesignerWrapper.InitializeDesigner()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.InternalQueryDesignerWithGenericModeWrapper.Initialize()

===================================

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. (System.Web.Services)

Program Location:

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SharePointList.SPListService.GetListCollection()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SharePointList.SPRemoteConnection.<>c__DisplayClass1.<GetLists>b__0(SPListService listSvc)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SharePointList.SPRemoteConnection.ExecuteServiceRequest(ServiceRequest request).

Any Help in this regard would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in Advance.

Friday, January 18, 2019 10:51 AM

Answers

• Well apparently logging into report server using Internet explorer solved this issue. Normally i use chrome to access report server. I tried every option from deleting to recreating shared data source and also using all options of data source credential i.e

1-Windows authentication (integrated) or SharePoint user

2-Prompt for credentials

3-Stored credentials

4-Credentials are not required

nothing solved this issue.  But as soon I logged into report server using internet explorer and marking it to remember my username and password it worked like charm.

Thank you Abhishek and Prasad for your response and contributions.

Best Regards

• Proposed as answer by Dennis Guo Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Casper70 Friday, January 25, 2019 9:49 AM
    Monday, January 21, 2019 8:25 AM

All replies

• Thank you Abhishek for response. But In properties of deployed data source I find following options only not the one mentioned in stack overflow solution you proposed

2-Prompt for credentials

3-Stored credentials

Friday, January 18, 2019 11:43 AM
  • deleting the shared data source and recreating it solved such issue

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/da0abd5d-1666-4332-9574-08f788dbc235/reporting-services-preview-failure?forum=sqlreportingservices

Regards

PT

Friday, January 18, 2019 4:08 PM
  • Thanks for reply Prasad but that didn't resolve the issue either. I think my password for sharepoint account changed thats when this problem started to occurre.
    Monday, January 21, 2019 7:11 AM
  • Well apparently logging into report server using Internet explorer solved this issue. Normally i use chrome to access report server. I tried every option from deleting to recreating shared data source and also using all options of data source credential i.e

2-Prompt for credentials

3-Stored credentials

nothing solved this issue.  But as soon I logged into report server using internet explorer and marking it to remember my username and password it worked like charm.

Thank you Abhishek and Prasad for your response and contributions.

Best Regards

• Proposed as answer by Dennis Guo Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Casper70 Friday, January 25, 2019 9:49 AM
    Monday, January 21, 2019 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you solve this issue, thanks for your sharing.

You can mark the reply as answer, it will make others who stuck with the similar issue easier to search for valid solutions in this forum.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:34 AM