Fixed duration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using MSP2010 Pro

In my Project I use fixed duration because this is the way we have to run the Project. Everything need to be finished as scheduled. We adjust this With more Resources. So I set up Fixed duration, effort driven and aut. planned.

When doing the planning, there are no problem. If I adjust the work load, the duration stay fixed. (Resource unit don't change, but I am aware of this issue) Everything is Nice as long as we are planning. Then I set baseline and get ready for tracking. When I update actual work, remaining work or %work Complete, the other columns are updated accordently. The problem is when the workload exceed planned work. If I have a duration of 5 days, planned work 80 hours (200%) and update actual work With 90 hours and then I will update remaining work With 10 hours. In other Words, my planned work is exceeded. Then MSP will update the duration?? Why is that? Duration is fixed and I have more Resources to do the task. I will expect MSP to keep the duration fixed. So, how to do this? Anybody that can help me With this? Is there anything I am missing here?

Regards

Knut Fredrik

Friday, February 21, 2014 1:34 PM

Answers

• Knut --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, February 21, 2014 3:55 PM

All replies

• Knut --

The reason for this behavior is because you are not updating the project correctly.  Here is what is happening:

1. When you update the task with 90 hours of Actual Work, Microsoft Project marks the task as completed (100% complete).
    2. When you increase the Remaining Work by 10h, the software automatically assumes that the additional work with take place AFTER the completed work, so the software increases the Duration to allow for the additional work.

There is no way to change the default behavior of the software, therefore, you will need to change how you update tasks in your projects.  Here is how you should do the same scenario you describe to get better results:

1. Set the Remaining Work to 100h.
    2. Enter 90h in the Actual Work column.

Using the new process, Microsoft Project will NOT increase the Duration.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, February 21, 2014 2:11 PM
  • In addition to Dale's sage advice - how are you adding more resources?  If the additional 10 hours of remaining work is being done by new resources - are you assigning the new resources?
    Friday, February 21, 2014 2:21 PM
  • It is mainly the same Resource or Group of Resource that will do this. We work With Group of Resources, like 500%/1000% and so on.

So, I just want to extend amount of actual work together With remaining work. Right number of Resources is taken care of by the team manager.

Knut Fr

Friday, February 21, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Hi Dale,

this Works, but I am not very happy With this. The reason for that is that this makes it a bit complicated to maintain. There are many Project managers With different kind of skills.

If I Reach 90 hours and I am not 100% sure about remaining work I need to put in a larger amount of work to "keep this going as an unfinished work" until I know the exact workload. But it Works!

Anyway, thank You for Your solution. It will work and we will do if this is the best way.

Regards

Knut Fr

Friday, February 21, 2014 2:56 PM
  • If you are not assigning additional resources to accomplish any additional work (just letting Project drive up the Peak Units), then Dale's suggestion is the best one.

Friday, February 21, 2014 3:30 PM
  • Knut --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, February 21, 2014 3:55 PM