Migrate one DB to Aroura from SQL RRS feed

• Question

• We have about 80 DBs in MS SQL Server. We are trying to transfer one of our database into Aurora DB. We have a MDF backup from MS SQL server. Do you know of any tools we could use to import from this format into Aurora DB?

We want to get a faster solution. We must also manipulate the data and change the schema, which might not be possible with DBMS unless done before hand. We would like to know the easiest and fastest way to do this conversion.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't know about Aurora, but I can tell you for sure that it won't be able to import data from the MDF

MDF is the physical data file where SQL stores your data, it's a proprietary binary file, so it's not directly readable.

You should rather test exporting your data into XML,  CSV, use SSIS. or some other export/import tool.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Hi i-Bro,

In the case of migration database from SQL Server to Aurora DB, I would suggest you post a new thread in AWS forum for better support. I also found some AWS documentation for your reference.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't know about Aurora, but I can tell you for sure that it won't be able to import data from the MDF

MDF is the physical data file where SQL stores your data, it's a proprietary binary file, so it's not directly readable.

You should rather test exporting your data into XML,  CSV, use SSIS. or some other export/import tool.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Hi i-Bro,

In the case of migration database from SQL Server to Aurora DB, I would suggest you post a new thread in AWS forum for better support. I also found some AWS documentation for your reference.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:07 AM