Connect SQL DataBase Server from Excel 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to connect Sql database server from Excel 2016. I can connect from excel by using administrator account .But I don't want to use administrator account and I want to use other user account to connect from Excel to SqlServer  Database.I had already added other user account in Sql server Security Login.But I can't connect.Please help me how can I do to connect?

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 5:42 AM

All replies

• Creating Microsoft Excel Connections to SQL databases
    1. Open Microsoft Excel.
    2. Select the Data tab.
    3. Click From other sources.
    4. Select From Data Connection Wizard.
    5. Select Microsoft SQL Server.
    6. Click Next.
    7. Enter the SQL Server Name.
    8. Select credentials to use.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:11 AM
  • Hello,

I want to connect Sql database server from Excel 2016. I can connect from excel by using administrator account .But I don't want to use administrator account and I want to use other user account to connect from Excel to SqlServer  Database.I had already added other user account in Sql server Security Login.But I can't connect.Please help me how can I do to connect?

Is the connection successful in SSMS when you connect SQL server using new user account? 

What's the error message when you connect from excel?

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:50 AM
  • Hello,

I connect to Sql server.But I got the following errors.Now my Sql server is SharePoint SQl server.I can connect administrator account but I can't other user account.I had already created new user account in SQL server.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:56 AM
  • And what happens if you press OK?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:14 PM
  • Hi Hnin Yu,

If the other account is the SQL server login that is created from SSMS. Please choose the secondary option ‘Database’. Select this if you want to connect using SQL Server authentication. After you select this, specify a user name and password to connect to your SQL Server instance.

If it is still not work, please check below and share us the error message again. Did you restart the SQL server service after the SQL login created? You have configured the SQL server authentication to SQL server and Windows authentication mode and you can use the new login connect to SQL server from SSMS, is it right?

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:28 AM